Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makobob
    • Jul 2004

Power for 1973 Mako 22B

I have a 1973 Mako 22B in mint condition that I inherited from an uncle. He had the boat in the water all of three times since he purchased the boat new in 1973.

I am looking to put a new motor on the boat and have been considering a Honda 200/225 4-stroke. I am interested in having enough power that can handle a full load of people and still be able to run it at a lower RPM to save on gas and the life of the motor. My concern, the Honda 220/225 weighs 580lbs. Can the rear end of my boat handle that kind of weight? The origional motor, an Evinrude 135 only weighed 300 lbs. What about splash back? Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks!

Bob
  • warthog5
    • Dec 2003

Weicome abord makobob. What's the deadrise at the transom on your's?

Mako built what I call design flaws into the older models.

I know you said it is in mint shape, but I'd rasise that transom for a 25in shaft motor. It does have a 20in shaft motor on it now. Right?

By doing this you will kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Easier to get a 25in shaft in the HP you want and you will not have the splashwell flooded all the time. It's much safer.

Comment

• makobob
      • Jul 2004

Hi Pensacola! I am also in Pensacola, figure the odds....

No problem finding the short shaft motor. I have a 2004 225 short shaft Honda ready to go on. My concern is will my transom support the extra weight no problem. The Owners Manual says my boat can handle up to 235 HP but it dosen't talk about weight. I had the transom inspected and the guy told me it was in great shape.

Are there any other guys out there who has taken a 1973 Mako 22B and put one of these new and heavy Honda 4 stroke 200/225 on their boat and if so are you happy with it? any problems?

Bob

Comment

• makobob
        • Jul 2004

Hi Pensacola! I am also in Pensacola, figure the odds....

No problem finding the short shaft motor. I have a 2004 225 short shaft Honda ready to go on. My concern is will my transom support the extra weight no problem. The Owners Manual says my boat can handle up to 235 HP but it dosen't talk about weight. I had the transom inspected and the guy told me it was in great shape.

Are there any other guys out there who has taken a 1973 Mako 22B and put one of these new and heavy Honda 4 stroke 200/225 on their boat and if so are you happy with it? any problems?

Bob

Comment

• classic73mako
          • Feb 2004

I put a 225 Yamaha V6 Excel on my 1973 22B in 1989 and have had no trouble with the boat or the motor since then. When I put the new motor on - which weights in at 405 pounds I was replacing an older (1977 Johnson) which weighed in at 395#'s. My main reason for the 225 2 stroke was it was the same weight and would not change the way the boat sat at rest in the water and I would gain another approximately 75 HP at the prop shaft. I ordered the motor with the 20 inch shaft (which they call a long shaft by the way) and really like the way the boat now sits flat in the water. It handels like it's on rails in the corners and except for when it starts to fly when going flat out which is around 50 - 51 KNOTS it handels perfectly. When I put the motor on, I used a 3/8" x 3"x3" T6061 Aluminum angle which I screwed on the front of the full with of the transom using a bunch of 2 1/2" #14 screws. I needed to cut off 1/2" of the top part of the angle (which rested on the top of the transom) as that section on top of the transom - which is the transom thickness is only 2 1/2 inches. I also placed a 1/4" Al plate on the outside of the transom for the motor to rest against which was about 18 or so inches square. Used only 4 screws for that and beded both in a coulpe of tubes of 5200. If you going to use the 6061 Al for this MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT HARDCOATED BEFORE YOU PUT IT ON THE BOAT or the salt will eat it up. Also the hardcoat (which is usually black) makes it impervious to the salt as long as you don't scratch the surface with a chisel as this finish is very hard - about a 77 to 80 rockwell C hard. (Both my pieces still look as good now as the day they were put on the boat.) Once both the angle and plate were on the boat, I then mounted the motor per the usual - drilling the top holes through the transom AND the Al angle on the inside of the transom and the bottoms through the Al plate and transom. I have a Teleflex Seastar hyd stearing setup on the motor and everything went together and fits like its made for it. I would not put this amout of HP on this boat without the HYD stearing and I had a manual setup before and it always pulled anmd was very hard to stear with the high HP. Haven't had ANY trouble with this set up AND WOULD NOT GO WITH ANY LESS hp ON THIS BOAT. Also don't know what kind of seas the others are speaking about with water over the tansom but here in the northeast (CT) there are planty of chances for that but I very rarely take any water over the transom - go figure. I would not go to all that trouble changing the heigth of the transom. Hope this helps -

Mike
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

• bassgodshaun
            • Mar 2004

Hey Bob,

I own a 73 22B and would love to see some pics of your boat!

Thanks

Shaun
            Shaun T Jeffries[br]1988 Mako 17 Standard Pompano Beach, Florida[br]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/aucshaun/Boat/mako2.jpg

Comment

• Alcedo
              • Dec 2003

52 Knots !! That is about 60 MPH !! Wow............

Comment

Working...