1998 ERude 150 FICHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 ERude 150 FICHT

Unfortuneatley, I'm in the position that I need to replace my 150 Yami. Looking at a 98 FICHT...Anyone have any experience with this motor?

I've read there were issues with the 1998 FICHT, but I've never spoken to anyone that actually had experieince with one. I'm considering buying a '98 Evinrude 150 FICHT for my 19 ft Mako. The seller is asking $5000. and claims to have never had any issues.

I would really appreciate some insight on this one.

Thanks guys.-Ed
    Chestertown, MD[br]1978 Mako 19B-150 Yam

We got twin 150s FICHTs when they first came out for our 26 Grady cat. I actually believe that they were '98 engines. They were absolutly the worst engines I have every experienced. We went through several power heads and OMC ended up replacing them with regular carborated 175s. We ended up getting rid of them as well and we got twin 200 Yami HPDIs, which we have had no problems with.

FICHTs sound great and run fine in the bay, but they are not meant to run hard, and for a long duration. A lot of people who used them to run offshore had similar experiences. My advice is to repower with Yami if possible, the HPDI has been great, but I know some people that have the 4 stroke, and they love it.
    Brandon[br]\'82 Mako 21[br]Fenwick Island, DE

Comment

I would stay away from the FICHTs prior to 2001 or 2002. The early models had bad bad problems. That is why OMC went out of business.

Tom
      Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

I bought a used '98 Johnson Ocean Runner on a '97 19ft Mako. I have probably put close to 80-100 hours on rig. Never had any problems with engine. I had the water pump replaced and tuned up after purchase by my choice. Engine is excellent and had no problems so far. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

LDS
        Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

That was the Oceanrunner, not the Ficht engine. They didn't have problems with the old tech engines, just the new Ficht ones.
          Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

DO NOT buy that motor. Outboard motors are like alot of other things......folks have their favorites. Not one company out there has not had their share of "bad" ones. The only FICHT motor worth as shet Are the Bomb models, I would take one in a heart beat.

Why not rebuild your Yammie ?????

5K will get you a number of good motors.......keep lookin.

Comment

Great advice...Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Ok, I found a 97 Yami 150 VMax-Twin Prop.

Thoughts for mounting on my 19 ft Mako?

Thanks...Ed
              Chestertown, MD[br]1978 Mako 19B-150 Yam

Comment

Stay as far away from a FICHT as you can. I just spent 8 months and $2000.00 troubing shooting a FICHT 2000 225. Never got it to run right. It seem to have a internal fuel problem and I was really luck a local shop gave me $2000.00 trade in on 2002 Yamaha.
                6 Pak & Tackle[br]Lantana,Fl

Comment

Working...
                X