Idea's? Water in tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea's? Water in tank.

Here is my problem. I have a 19 footer that I am having a problem with getting water in my gas tank. I don't think that my tank has a hole b/c then I would smell gas in the bilges, right? I have siliconed up the tank cap area very well and keep a full tank of full in her after each trip. I have not had this problem before these past 6 months. There is a gap around my vent on the outer hull, possibly there? When I fill her though gas is discharging through the vent when she is full so I think the actual line is still good?? I know about the gas tanks going bad but wouldn't I smell it in the bilges if there was a hole in the tank and how could it get in there? Thanks in advance, Don

I heard of tanks getting water while underway if the vent hole is face forward. Never had the problem on my Mako & the hole points toward the stern.

Mike
    77 Mako 20, Huntington Beach,Ca[br]Mike

Comment

You may not smell gas in the bilge because the leak may be in the fill tube from the gunnel down to the tank. Depending on where the leak is in the fill tube will determine where the gas goes OR where the water is going into the tank. When I had a full tube leak the (salt water had corroded the Al tube for many years) I only had a smell under my center counsole and it was only while refuling. In a short time the gas smell would disapated quickly as no more gas would leak out of the tube when I stopped adding gas. If you have a hole in that fill tube that is accessable to any water sourse (rain, builge, splashing etc) it could enter your tank the same way the fuel is getting out. NOW here is another possible idea - Recently the gas manfactures starting adding Methenol to gas instead of that MTBF crap they added over the last 10 or so years. The new gas with methenol IS NOT COMPATABLE WITH THE OLD MTBF GAS AND THE METHENOL WILL BREAK DOWN THE EXISTING WATER IN THE TANK (JUST LIKE DRY GAS DOES IN A CAR IN COLDER CLIMATS). THAT GAS AND BROKEN DOWN WATER MIXTURE WILL THEN BE SUCKED UP INTO THE GAS LINE BY THE ENGINE. The new gas also somewtimes produces a jelly like gas product that also needs to be removed. This cangeover was about Feb or March of this year so if you didn't run ALL of the old gas out of the tank and then fill the empty tank with new gas it could be part of your problem. Most people don't relize that there is usually a lot of water (that you never see) in a boat's gas tank unless you have a gas/water filter & seperator (like a Racore etc.) installed. Hope this may give you annother idea.

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! much appreciated.

Comment

I once had a 19 Mako that had fuel problems (water). Eventually we ripped off the console and got to the tank. Water had soaked through the foam and was just sitting on top of the tank. Over the years it made little pits in the aluminum, which had tiny pin holes in them. I just put a layer of marinetex over the entire top of the tank and sealed it back up - problem solved. I never smelled gas though, so this might not be your problem.
          Gulfstreamcomposites.com - epoxy, vinylester, fiberglass, core material, hatches, primer/paint and more[br]

Comment

Working...
          X