Mako 201 water ballast system???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 201 water ballast system???

I posted a question earlier about water in the hull but I think (hope) I figured it out. My issue arose from the fact that if I stepped on the floor of the bow casting deck locker when the boat was at rest I could hear and feel water under the floor. Immediately, I thought I had water in my hull. After doing a bit of web research I learned that some (or all) Mako's have two 1.5" holes on either side of the center line of the transom that flood a ballast chamber in the center keel with approximately 100 gallons of water to improve stability at rest (sure enough I have two holes in my transom below the water line that are covered with a hinged rubber flange and I have never really wondered what they did). I read this in a boat review article from Australia so I was hoping some of the classicmako.com gurus could confirm this water ballast system and put my mind at ease. I will try and get my boat on a lift to check if this is in fact the case.
    Thanks,[br]JB[br]\'91 Mako 201[br]Oxford, Maryland

I have never heard of this or read this in any of the Mako literature I have ever read or ever seen. Having said that I will look through all of the lit. I have (catalogs from the 70's thru the 00's) tonight and see.

Cliff
    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

A thought on the holes with rubber flanges: They may be to drain the deck. These holes are right at the waterline though.

Cliff

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SeaReel

A thought on the holes with rubber flanges: They may be to drain the deck. These holes are right at the waterline though.

Cliff

These holes are below the deck drains below the water line.

Here is the link to the article that made me think my "water in the hull" problem was actually a "feature".

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/boa...t/640/640.html

Comment

Not real sure either. Haven't ever seen anything like that on a Mako, but I have seen it on the older Boston Whalers.

When you hear/feel the soggy area. Are you stepping on the actual floor of the compartment? You may just be hearing foam crush beneath the fiberglass shell of the compartment. You might cut a small hole to inspect and you can place an access plate into afterwards.
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I'm not sure if Mako Craft and Mako Marine are one in the same. Sounds like an Australian made hull to me. I read further... its an aluminum hull.
            Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Probably correct on the Austrailian review--not the same.

It is definitely water. When the boat is at rest I put my foot down on the floor of the locker/storage compartment that is in the casting deck and gently push down on the floor I can hear the slight flex in the floor displace water. I will cut into the locker floor but before I get to crazy I'll pull the boat out of the water first to test my "water ballast" theory. Any ideas on what the two holes in the transom are below the water line--they have a rubber flange and do not go into the bilge. They definitely drain a signifigant amount of water when you are getting up on plain but they are not part of the hull drain system. My boat is a '91 201 so it is a fairly new "classic". The thought of having water in my hull is keeping me up at night.

BTW--I'm a "first time caller long time listener" on this site and it is a tremendously helpful site. Great job and many thanks.

Comment

I have an older 20 that used to have 2 transom drain holes under the water line. These used to drain the 2 fish boxes and the bow floor hatch.

I am assuming that yours drains any hatches that are flush with the deck, possibly the livewell (I've never been on a later model 20', but I am assuming it is set up similar to the mid to late 80s models. If not, then I might be wrong).

This drain system allows water to flood into those pvc drain tubes when the boat is at rest and drain when the boat is on plane or out of the water.

My livewell was connected to this drainage system and because the outlet was below the waterline at rest, it never drained fast enough to keep up with the water filling into the livewell. Had to constantly adjust the flow so that it wouldn't overflow the livewell.

My 20' does not have a ballast.
                1974 20\'[br]2005 Sabalo 22\'[br]Gainesville Fl[br]

Comment

I think tank72 is right concerning the function of the drain below the waterline. Our 25 has a drain well below the waterline that drains a livewell and another compartment forward that are both below the waterline which flood when the boat is at rest.

Cliff

Comment

SeaReel

Which forward compartment floods while your at rest? The bait well should, but I don't believe any others should.
                    Ole Joe
                    Just floundering around
                    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                    1978 Mako 25

Comment

There is no water balast system in any Mako!!!!!!!!!!

You've got a problem.

Comment

The forward compartment that can flood is the in deck (on the floor) coffin tank between the two raised compartments in front of the console.

It will flood, as the live well does, if the ball valve (located in the bildge) is opened. At least that is how ours worked before my Dad disconnected it from the line running to the live well. It will not fill up anymore.

On a side note: I never realized just how deep this boat was and how much space is below the deck until I found myself standing in that front compartment (the bottome of which much rest on the center stringer) one day while cleaning it. I was barely able to see over the gunwales. I am just about 6 feet tall.

Cliff

Comment

Oh yeah, I looked through the lit this morning and found nothing of a ballast system but I did find that by the late 80's Mako was using the term 'classic' very liberally and that for the 25th anniversary they put out several classic models: 171 classic, 191 classic, and the 211 classic. These boats did not look like there brethern of old though, especially the bildge area which was only accessible through two round access plates instead of a single hatch.

Maybe I should repost this on that string.

Cliff

Comment

Thanks for all the insight. Just to clarify. The bow locker itself is not filling with water. The unacessable space under the locker floor appears to have water trapped that you can feel when you step on the floor of the locker. I now realize that it is not a water ballast system (although I have been on center consoles that had this system). I was grasping at straws on that hypothesis. I am going to pull the boat and see if the water drains and if it doesn't I'll cut a hole in the floor of the locker and see where that leads. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X