Help on deciding about a new paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on deciding about a new paint job

I have stumbled into a deal and need some help getting pushed over the edge. My 1973 22b needs a bit refurbishing and before I repower it I want to get rid of the blisters and a nice paint job. I met a guy who was just layed off from Rybovich Spencer and needs to make some money for rent. He said he would grind down all of the blisters and repaint the hull with top quality Awlgrip pain (Cobalt Blue) for $1000. He will do the whole thing, top to to bottom for $2500. I really don't have $2500 sitting around but could probably squeeze $1000 to get the hull done. Is there anything wrong with just having the hull done. He did show me lots of pictures of his past work. It was very good.

Thanks

Shaun
    Shaun T Jeffries[br]1988 Mako 17 Standard Pompano Beach, Florida[br]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/aucshaun/Boat/mako2.jpg

I've sanded the bottom of a blistered boat and it's no picnic. If he sands out the bottom, fairs the blisters and barrier coats before painting I'd say its worth every penny.....Tony
    79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

I'm having my 25' repainted. Top and bottom including a lot of grinding and filling in holes and cracks. Without all the new hardware it will cost about $5,000 for the labor and paint. I've spent at least another $1,000 on new hatches, rod holders, tackle locker, etc.

It's a lot of money, but it's sure cheaper than a new boat. It should look brand new when I get it back. It is killing me not having the boat since March 1st. I sure hope it is done soon. A friend who works full time for a marine shop is doing the job on the side. I guess that is why it's taking so darn long.

Tom
      Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

Don't feel bad about not having a boat since March... My Mako 21 hasn't moved from the same spot in the driveway since December 2002! Hopefully sometime next Spring I'll get her back in the water. Its killing me to think about all the fun we used to have with the boat. But she'll be loads of fun when I'm done rebuilding her.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

bassgodshaun This could be a good deal or a nightmare. All the details need to be in writing so there is no mistake. He needs money and you want your boat done.

I'm sure that materials are all extra? It needs to be written up with a due date. Money will be paid as a draw when certain parts are complete. If you don't do it this way, he's gonn'a be bugging you for money all the time. You go with him to buy the materials.

Comment

The $1000 includes the parts/supplies + the cost of the bottom paint which was extra. It seems to be all most to good to be true. I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Shaun
            Shaun T Jeffries[br]1988 Mako 17 Standard Pompano Beach, Florida[br]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/aucshaun/Boat/mako2.jpg

Comment

"It seems to be all most to good to be true. I will keep you posted."

Ah..if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Tom
              Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

Working...
              X