171 'Angler'__'Classic' or 'Special'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 171 'Angler'__'Classic' or 'Special'

Could some please enlighten me to the differences in boat models between the 171 'Angler', 'Classic' & 'Special'? Thanks
    Steve 171 Mako[br]Jupiter, FL.

I think the hulls are basically the same. The difference is the layout on top. The classic and special are basically the same. I think in the mid-80's Mako came out with a series of 'classics' that included the 17, 23, and 25 as a way to increase sales. Anyway, the classic and special are rather standard Mako designs that either have a transom door or nothing at the back. The angler is a really cool design if you like lots of storage on a small boat. The cockpit of the boat is divided into one large compartment and two small ones on either side and behind the large compartment. It forms a large casting platform. The bildge is accessed behind the large compartment and between the other two by way of a hatch. You can see a picture of the 17 angler on the FAQ/Reference Main Menu under the 1971 Mako's.

On a side note Mako offered several console options during these times. They the standard console and a really small compact console which I think was called the angler console. The standard console came with a molded seat while the other one had nothing but the helm section. You could by the 17 angler and get the standard console which is what we have.
    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

I looked through the lit this morning and found nothing of a ballast system but I did find that by the late 80's Mako was using the term 'classic' very liberally and that for the 25th anniversary they put out several classic models: 171 classic, 191 classic, and the 211 classic. These boats did not look like there brethern of old though, especially the bildge area which was only accessible through two round access plates instead of a single hatch.

The standard traditionally had two compartments on either gunwale aft.

Cliff

Comment

And the 'special' seemed to be just like the 'classic'. Sorry for all of the posts.

Cliff

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SeaReel

And the 'special' seemed to be just like the 'classic'. Sorry for all of the posts.

Cliff

Comment

Thanks for the info. The owners manual that I'd received from the guy I bought the boat from is calling it a 'Special'. Just like the one posted on our web site here.

Anyway, I think its a great boat and will serve our needs just right.

Comment

Working...
            X