Loose Bow Eye on 1973 22B-Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Bow Eye on 1973 22B-Help

I need some help fixing a Loose Bow Eye on 1973 22B. It has been getting progressively worse and I can't find access to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Shaun T Jeffries[br]1988 Mako 17 Standard Pompano Beach, Florida[br]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/aucshaun/Boat/mako2.jpg

Shaun,

If yours is set up like mine, you will find a wooden panel inside the anchor locker secured with 4 screws. Pull out the screws and remove the panel. You will see the back side of your bow eye.
    Greenwich, NJ[br]1976 22B

Comment

Shep - Where exactly is that wooden pannel starboard side? port side? middle? as I have never seen any wooden access pannel like that in the line locker on the front of the boat on my '73 22B. Maybe someone already needed access to the bow eye and cut that access hole???? Let me know -

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Mike,

Mine is located right behind the bow eye, inside the anchor locker. It is a factory installed teak panel.

Hope that helps
        Greenwich, NJ[br]1976 22B

Comment

I actually had it fixed but was a royal pain in the ass. It was the original bow eye and it was located up, above and behind the bow locker. We had to take a reciprocating saw to it to actually get to it. The original wood backing had rotted through completely and I'm lucky it didn't rip through the glass. I replaced the wood with some of the left over fiberglass scraps from the locker. I love my Mako but the early design flaws appear to be obvious in a situation like this.

Thanks
          Shaun T Jeffries[br]1988 Mako 17 Standard Pompano Beach, Florida[br]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/aucshaun/Boat/mako2.jpg

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me on that in case I have that same problem crop up - but for now mine is still holding solid.

Mike

Comment

Actually thinking more about it now, I can say that my line locker bottom, which is the same height as the forward raised casting platform is all tied into the bow HIGHER that where the bow eye is placed on the outside of the bow. I guess I would need to cut through the line locker floor back far enough trying to miss the backside of the bow eye. I need to take another look a the relationship of that floor and the eye. Thanks again -Mike

Comment

Working...
              X