Mako Inboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako Inboards

Any 236 owners out there interested in sharing boat info/projects? I have done about everything you can to the mercruiser 350 260hp. In the process of putting in a 350 Mag Horizon. I am thinking of adding an extra fuel tank for trips to Bimini and the Dry Tortugas. Anyone add a reserve tank out there?

Thanks,

Paul
    Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Have a 1975 236 inboard with a 318 Chrysler. Bought it last fall and have had it in the water for about 2 months. Still working out some small bugs but overall it's a great boat.

Have never thought about an extra tank. Where would you put it?

Comment

My 1988 is a deap V. There is room in front of the engine, not sure how big of a tank will fit. Smart choice on the inboard, my good friend has a 1976 as well. They are a bit slower, but they ride much better in my opinion. They drift much better for kite fishing as well.

Comment

I just replaced my orginal tanks with new aluminum ones, in the process discovered lots of wet foam. We removed about 350lbs of wet stuff and gained about 3kts of cruising speed. There's not alot of extra room down there for bigger tanks or an aux. tank. My boat is 85' with 260 mercruiser. What kind of cruising speed with full tanks can you get?

Comment

I used to get 31 mph top sped, about 24 mph cruising. I still have not got it back from the shop, I hope I get much closer to 30mph cruising with the new engine. That is with a T-top, bottom paint and a 16 year old engine by the way. What is your's now?

Comment

I have the original engine in mine cruise is about 21mph @ 3600 rpm and top speed is about 25 mph @ 4300 rpm. I have a 13x12 prop on now and could probally add some pitch. It says 3800 rpm wot on the valve cover however some local mechanics say wot is closer to 4400 rpm. Another problem I have experienced is a slipping throttle control(i have morse controls) any ideas?

Comment

Not sure what you mean by slipping throttle. Do you mean if you take your hand off the throttle it bakcs off? I have a page bookmarked at work that shows a detailed exploded diagram of the morse control. I have ordered parts from them and corrected issues I had. The morse control is pretty easy to take apart and swap bad parts. A new control is like $300. I will post the page tomorrow.

Comment

Mako236,

Here is the website for getting morse control parts:

http://www.charment.com/

First try to figure out whatis wrong:

-Take panel #34 off first. You can the look inside and see if you can tell what is wrong.

If you need to take it apart:

-Remove setscrew #9. Push handle to full throttle or full reverse to access it

-Pull off the handle #8

-Push out the pin #30 Tap it with a hammer, use a screw drver or punch to push it all the way out, and save it, it can be re-used

At this point you can take just about anything off the trick is to get the pin out.

Where are you located? Hope this helps.

Comment

Has anyone considered the regular portable plastic deck tanks for that extra gas?? I have been doing it for 25 years (to fish offshore for tuna etc) on my '73 22B by using standared tempo tanks and a 3 way fuel valve that is easly accessed. Just have one of the lines setup with a flexable outboard type fuel hose long enough to reach the deck tank. (Plum the 3 way with the center main going to the engine and one side of the 3 way to the below deck tank and the other side to the outboard flexable gas line with fitting). Make sure that the end of the gas line and the tank have the correct fittings on them as some are different. I have a 36 gal tank and 2 18 gallon tanks that I just set on my forward deck for those long trips. I make sure I burn off the deck tanks first so they can be removed when we get back to port. Granted they will take up deck space but as they are emptyed they can be moved around and usually put in a place where they are not in anyones way (as empty thy weigh onl several pounds). 2 or 3 of the 36 gallon ones could get you that extra range you need. Hope this helps -

Mike
                  1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

I have a 1988 236 with a 350 in it. I got and extra 3 knots upto a 25 knot crusie at 3200 by having my strut realined. My top end up current is 32knots at 4400 rpms now. When I pulled my shaft and tried to put it back in you had to bend the shaft to get it in the hole. Check yours out. It made a huge difference on my boat.
                    Andy

Comment

I have a 1988 236 with a 350 in it. I got and extra 3 knots upto a 25 knot crusie at 3200 by having my strut realined. My top end up current is 32knots at 4400 rpms now. When I pulled my shaft and tried to put it back in you had to bend the shaft to get it in the hole. Check yours out. It made a huge difference on my boat.
                      Andy

Comment

Andy,

Do you have the stock 260HP? T-top? Bottom paint?

Thanks

Comment

tuskanraider

can you email me some pictures of your ride,

i got a 1976 aquasport 22-2

ford 302 veelvet drive trans 1:1 ratio, here are some number

from running new boat to me, will get better numbers soon.

i did not push it any further,made some strange noises...

boat has no t-top or even a windshield this was with 3 people average 180lb and gear onboard and 30 gallons gas,tank holds 50)

prop is a 13" diameter and a 10 pitch or 12 not sure it was "cut down" and they stamped over the 10 with a 12 or they stamped over the 12 with a 10,,,,not to sure

19.5 mph = 2000 rpms

27.5 mph = 2500 rpms

31.5 mph = 3000 rpms

pictures of boat below

http://community.webshots.com/user/islandkash

Comment

also speed was from a

gecko gps unit

tuskanraider

my email is [email protected]

Comment

i keep posting to fast, sorry

motor has a cam in it and i was told its about 240/245 horsepower

holley 450 cfm 4 brl carb

Comment

Working...
                              X