Mako 19 Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 19 Power?

I just purchased a '78 19 footer powered by a 150 Yamaha.

The motor has a 25" shaft and is mounted on a jackplate. Even though the specs allow a max of 150hp, the motor seems too heavy to me. I'm thinking a 115 or 130/35 would be a better option for this Mako.

Any suggestions or advice?

Great site! Thanks for the wisdom...
    Chestertown, MD[br]1978 Mako 19B-150 Yam

My family has a '74 17 footer with a Johnson 115. I know it is much lighter than your 19 but we get about 55mph wot. I would think that the 115 or 130 would be plenty of power but still not adding that much weight.

Just curious...does your screenname mean crystal river?
    Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Thanks for the reply Reel Raider. I think you're correct. A 130 or even a 115 should do it. With the 150, she definately sits a little low and that can be creepy when the kiddies are on board.

Actually, the C stands for Chester River.

(We're on the Eastern Shore of Maryland-Chesapeake Bay)

Comment

I had a '77 Mako 19 footer. Mine was powered with an 85 hp E-rude which was a really reliable engine with not great but adequate performance. I think a 115 would be perfect unless you really want to push the top speed envelope. (wish I still had that boat.)

Comment

My '89 191 is considerably heavier than yours (depending on your gear) and powered by an old Johnson 120. It rides well and planes easily with use of tabs, cruising at 26-27, wide open reaching 31-32 (assuming my speedometer is to be trusted). I would call this OK performance, but really have little to compare it to. That said, long runs with full gas, gear and several passengers, I've been considering repowering in a few seasons to the max rated 150.

Comment

I would keep the 150! Really, you say 'too heavy'...I'm assuming you're talking about at rest and the ability to leave the plug out for the deck to drain. There is not too much difference in weight b/t the V4s and V6s, at least in the carbed versions.

I had a '73 17 for many years, last engine was a Rude 110. Boat ran nice with it, (sorry Reel, but there is NO WAY you're getting 55 out of that boat with that power...dont trust those pitot speedo's, they're not accurate) would get 44-45mph out of her on the pin and a comfortable, economical cruise at 3500 rpm, but the 19 is alot bigger, alot wider...a 110 or 115 is not going to make you happy. Friend just got a '69 19, has a late 90's 130 on it. Thats still a V4, and the boat runs nice with it. Deck will drain with plug out. A little less go than my 17 with the 110 had, but still has enough go.

Personally, I'm a firm believer that you cant have enough power. When maxed, your engine works a lot less harder, you burn less fuel, and you have the power for when the shit hits the fan.
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Keep your 150. The more power the better. I run a 150 on my 17 and it doent sit that low in the water. You could easily put a 200 on that boat because the weight is minimal.

Comment

Gary- Is your 150 a 20" or 25" shaft? Do you have any problems with water coming into the splash well?

Comment

CriverMako, I was debating the same thing when I repowered back in 95'. My 19'er had the old 135 evinrude on it. I ended up getting a 94' 130 evinrude. Even though it is smaller it was a little heavier. I needed to add wood brackets to my transom to help keep the water out. That was no problem I happy I went with the 130. It is agood amount of power for that boat. I think you can get away with a 115, but I wouldn't get the 150. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Comment

Hi,

My 150 is a 20'' and I dont have any water problems with the well. And as I was reading the above I noticed someone saying that their 115 was hitting 55. Mine will only do 57 with almost no fuel and perfect conditions.

Comment

Yea I am wrong saying that it will go 55, it is closer to 50 on a perfect day. That is the reading off of the GPS if it gives you an accurate reading.

Gary-did you reinforce your transom on your 17 when you were doing work on it?

Martin
                      Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Gary-Great looking boat...nice work!

Comment

Working...
                        X