Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transom bracket questions

Hello All,

I want to again thank the people of this great site. I am new to the mako world as well as center c.c. boats.

There are few of either here in Hawaii so rely on the much info available on this site. I am growing comfortable with the 221 I own in the local not so friendly water. Yesterday we had an experience that makes me believe I want to add a transom bracket and close in transom as I have seen on this site. We hooked into an unusual double , a 380 Blue marlin running hard to port and a 140 Yellow fin diving just as hard to starboard in about 6-8 foot sloppy seas. The boat was not threatened in any way but was a very uncomfortable wet ride for about 1 hour.

My plan is to order an Armstrong bracket and having a local shop do most of the work due to limited skills , space and time.

some questions are:

I cannot tell from any of the pictures I have seen with these old eyes exactly how the deck scuffers are installed, are they through the bracket? How large are most people installing? I do take a lot of water over bow at time and want to be sure it gets out as fast as possible.

Also I have twin 115 mercs on the boat but plan to repower in the next year or so to a single 200 to 250, will this effect what bracket I need?

last how does the extension effect center of gravity on the trailors I.E. tongue weight? We do a lot of trailering on these islands depending on which side the bite is on, traffic can be squirrely on narrow roads so like to keep in control there also.

Thanks again for any help Otto

Otto, check out this link....they have pics of how the drain will work with a bracket. You may also want to inquire about a bracket, they are cheaper than Armstrong and you can customize it....Tony

http://www.dadmarine.com/picturelnk.htm
    79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

Thanks Tony,

That does help a bunch, I had looked at these before and just did not see them. These old eyes are 20/15 on distance but the myopia has them near blind at three feet. It looks by the picture of the 221 on that site that I would be better off to have them build a bracket for a single motor and repower at the same time. Time for flowers for the first lady!!!Then I could retain the factory trim tabs as shown.

Thanks again OTTO
      quote:

Originally posted by spectrout77

Otto, check out this link....they have pics of how the drain will work with a bracket. You may also want to inquire about a bracket, they are cheaper than Armstrong and you can customize it....Tony

http://www.dadmarine.com/picturelnk.htm

Comment

Working...
      X