need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

I have posted a few times with little replies. I really need your opinion. I recently bought 76 22' mako with a old johnson 150. I only payed 2500 for it. I plan on selling my old boat for about 2500 and repowering the 22. The problem is I am a little hestiant in droping 9000-13000 into a 1976 boat. On the other hand all said and done, I will have a nice boat with a new motor for only 10000. With the price of new and used boats these days i feel I wouldn't find a better deal then that. Today I went to a honda, mercury, suzki, and johnspon dealer. I found The johnson evenrude had the best prices rigged and it is close to my marina. 1 My question is shoud I repower the boat? 2 Johnson 175 or evenrude 200/225 direct injection.

Sorry for all the questions. I just alittle afraid of droping $$$ and not beening happy with the profermance of my boat. I have owned a 1972 19' for years and that boat treated me great. Drove like a tank, I guess I am afraid the bigger boat will let me down.

If any of this makes sense to u please REPLY

THanks[?][|)]
    keyport nj

Let me get this stright?

QUOTE: 2 Johnson 175 or evenrude 200/225 direct injection.

You have a older 150 outboard on this boat now and you want to put

2 Johnson 175 or evenrude 200/225 direct injection motors on it?

let's start from ground zero. What's the boat need? Are you going to do the work yourself? Do you have a place to do it? Do you have the tools and tallent to do it?

Rebuilding a boat is not cost effective. It's a LABOR of LOVE. Do you want to fish the boat this year? How about some pix's?

Now why do some of us do it. Well again it's a Labor of Love and to get what we want and not finanace it. Pay as you build.

Comment

He doesn't want "2" 175's, that was his second point. If you love the boat repower it. Then you'll have a dependable power on a great boat. If cost is the biggest issue look for another used boat with newer power.
      1984 Mako 238, 2000 Yamaha 250[br]Long Island, NY

Comment

I'm sorry I was rushing when I wrote this. I would not put 2 175's on this boat. I was trying to say 175 carborated or 200 dirct injection evinrude. And I do like this boat and it is much more boat then my 19'.

Just wanted to add, I went out on the boat today and solved some problems with the motor. And I might put off the motors for a couple of weeks and see how the boat handles. If i like it I will do the motor. Still would like to know which motor. As far as doing the work. I would have the motors mounted by a professional. I have owned a mako for about 5 years and love doing little upgrades each spring and find myself learning as I go. I do not thing i would ever attemt to do some of the projects I see on this site. i appriciate the people of this site and hope to keep learning from this great tool for mako owners.
        keyport nj

Comment

If you like the boat and plan on keeping her for awhile...repower. If you're going to move up in a year or two, you'd never get your money back out of it.

As far as engines...I think a rude 200, from what I've heard, is one hell of an engine. Friends that have recently bought them claim they pack a LOT more punch than whatever 200 was replaced, and fuel consumption, or lack of, is very impressive.

The other option would be to wait a year until the lighter, big-block rude e-tecs are out.
          1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Working...
          X