opinions wanted - 1989 Mako 285 dual console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions wanted - 1989 Mako 285 dual console

I am considering purchasing a 1989 Mako 285 dual console boat. I really like the layout. The only info I can seem to find of this boat is the limited spec information on Mako's website. Any body out there have any experience or opinion of this big rig??

Specs:

LOA ~30.5'

Weight: 6000lbs (w/out power)

Beam: 9' 10"

max hp: 600hp

I have fished on one that size once. It was equipped with a tower and a fighting chair and twin 200 hp Yam. The day I fished on it the weather was calm. I liked the set up and thought it was a warhorse of a fishing boat.

The owner regularly ran 100 miles offshore of Texas and fished for several days. He commented that in a head sea it was awesome but could not handle a following at all. I think this is probably b/c there are no strakes on the bottom to help it track. The owner did not think the cabin up front was good for anything but storage though.

Cliff
    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

My thoughts were similar after my test ride. Handled head on seas amazingly well, was really squirrely in following seas. I like the small cuddy - wouldn't want to give up much more space outside to make it any larger.

Comment

Working...
      X