How to remove fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove fuel tank

have 82 20' CC with bad fuel tank. How to remove as it is stuck. Hace removed fuel and fumes and foam, but won't break free. How to replace when finnally get it out. Any ideas helpful. cell 904 635 6965.
    20\' ft CC 150 Suzi

Put a 24" piece of 4x4 timber on each gunwale and an 8' section crossing the hull on top of the gunwale pieces. You might even strong back that 4x4 with another 4x4. Hang a come-along from that cross section. Attach a cable or wire to each corner of the tank and attach that to the come-along. Apply pressure while prying on the tank with a big crowbar. Make sure that you don't pry on bare deck with the crowbar. Put down a piece of 3/4" plywood or a piece of 2x6 to protect your deck.

Once the tank pops free, refer to this webpage for the best way to re-install the tank: http://www.classicmako.com/test/chaparrel
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Thanks a bunch. Used a jack and had to drill hole in tank to put hooks as tabs came off, but it worked. On the bottom of the tank is a hole as big as a thumb laid out, not just the tip. Man were we luck nothing happen. With older boats you have to keep checking.
      20\' ft CC 150 Suzi

Comment

Look over that link I posted and coat the new tank with coal tar epoxy. That will add at least 10-15 years to the life of the tank.

Comment

I just removed a foamed in tank. It came out because it was saturated in gas. I was wondering if anyone ever tried using vacuum? Just a thought. Tony
          79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

spectrout77 Explain what you mean using vacuum?

Comment

Use a vacuum pump so the tank collapses on itself. I figure if you can get the tank to collapse, it will separate from the foam. I know this might not work on baffled tanks. Just a thought. Have an image to attach but can't figure out how to send it.
              79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

The alum tanks that were original had baffels in them.

Comment

Heres Tony's pixs. After seeing this.... Its amazing what a vacuum can do! It might be able to collapse most of a tank with baffles.

Comment

Working...
                  X