Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Pitting

Hi All,

My first post - I just purchased my first boat last weekend - a 1971 Mako 17"...she's great! the previous owner was took imaculate care of her..

One thing that I'd like to spurce up is the throtle - the chrome has become pitted. Any tips on this? Can replacements be found?

Thanks.

-Ben

Welcome to the board Ben. Yes the parts can be replaced and that's going to be your best bet. I have a 704 top mount yamaha control on a brand X boat. It's pitted and it has lived in a garage all it's life. It's just crap materials to begin with.

Comment

Ben,

Keep an eye on Ebay. There are always brand new controls popping up for pennies on the dollar. []
      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Its okay Bobby, You can admit that you own a Scout[]
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

HeHe Shhhhh! I'm trying to keep it low profile.[]

Comment

I assume you're looking for a morse control like I had on my '73 17.

Besides Ebay, may want to check surplusunlimited.com. Dont know how they compare pricewise to other houses, but they are very competitive on some of the other things I've bought.
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I have a morse SL3 on my 72 17 and love it! You will want a top mount for your boat. They are made well and support and replacment parts are a snap. If you need cables to go with it I like the 33 extreem cables. They are not to expensive and are smooth as a baby's butt.

Comment

I agree that the chrome on the controls recently are not made to last like years ago but I have found that most of the pitting up here in the north country (CT) happens over the winters when those few bits of salt are left on the control. I take special care to grease up that control (using my finger and the regular blue motor grease) each fall when I put her to sleep. Then in the spring I clean off most all of the noticable blue grease but still leave a light coat/film on for the entire boating season. My Yama 704 control has over 10 seasons in the salt and still dosen't have any pits on it. The catch here is this needs to be done from day 1 as that's the same day the salt starts it's attack also. I also use this trick on the outrigger holders - the only other chrome on the boat and it works just as well.
                1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
                X