Fuel Tank Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Problems

Tank has leak(finger tip size hole) from galvidic reaction. Best place to get a tank quickest as original manufactor says 5 weeks. Ideas/info on repairing until or on replacing. Boat is 20' CC 1982, Mako web site says 60 gal tank, but dimensions 47"L x 17"W x 9"D is 44 gal. Any body know for sure?
    20\' ft CC 150 Suzi

Where's the leak at Sky? Top,side or bottom? Will you have to pull the tank to fix it?

Comment

Pull your tank and have a reputable welding shop build you a new one. The average price is 7 bucks a gallon up to a certain amount then the price goes down. Never Ever repair an aluminum tank! If it leaks in one spot the other leaks are not far behind. If your foam is soaked with fuel you will want to air it out and let it dry any way. I saw a boat get blown off the map 2 years ago because the guy wanted to save 400 bucks and patch a tank.

Comment

Just pulled my tank out. Found more holes after I peeled the foam away. My tank is 43 gallons....welder said the price of aluminum went up. The tank will cost around 500...OUCH!!!! Tony
        79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

Who did you get that price from? Caldwell built a 60 gallon tank for me right at $550.
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Time to find a new welder. Your welder is tring to jack you! I just picked up a tank last week that was 72 gal and it cost me 440.00 with a sending unit. Granted I have 10 or so tanks built a year but I dont use the same shops all the time. There are several companies that will build you a tank for a hell of a lot less than that and that will include shipping. Measure your tank acuratly and call around and you can do much better. Than after you get your tank built for what it should realy cost tell your 500.00 plus welder to bend over, light his estimate on fire and stick it up his ass!

Comment

I got a tank from www.kshmarine.com in Arizona and was very pleased in the the quality, turn around time and certainly the price. They made me a 52 gl tank exactly to my specs, and including shipping it was around $280.00. Worth a look.
              James Havanki[br]Great Mills[br]Southern Maryland[br]1973 22\' still \"in-work\".......lol

Comment

Sorry posted new topic. Need to pull tank, but seems stuck. Foam out of compartment, but still won't come out. Any ideas, and how to put new tank in?
                20\' ft CC 150 Suzi

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Eddie, the guy is near you on Old Spanish Trail. He does all the rigging on Newton's boats. He may cost a little more but he does great work. The tank may cost more because the bottom has a "V" shape to it. So if that Caldwell tank cost 550 @ 60 gals. then my estimate isn't too bad for 43. I also don't want to do this job anytime soon cause I saved a few bucks....Tony.
                  79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

Working...
                  X