fair price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fair price?

Looked at a 1981 20' with a 200hp power. Boat is in decent shape, hasnt been in the water in 2 years. Needs a bit of work here and there, but nothing more than cosmetics on the hull. The motor is a bit of a mistery - supposedly its a merc 200, it certainly looks like one (but im no expert). Anyhow, the seller is asking $9500 which seems fairly high. Boat comes with a trailer that is in decent shape. Any thoughts on this - anything to look out for in particular? Boat is in Maine -

thanks for any help-

How old is the engine? A boat this old is really valued based on the strength/age of the engine.
    Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

its a 'repowered' boat, motor is a 1986 - motor looks clean. perhaps i need to know what exactly he means by re-powered, as its 18 years old.

Comment

grover,

You need to look at the entire package to see if it meets your needs. What the owner means by "repowered" is that the original engine has been replaced with the '86. A motor that old has absolutely NO VALUE -- salvage value only, maybe $200.

You are really buying the hull and trailer, so you need to decide if it's worth it. I would certainly get the motor checked out by a certified mechanic you trust.

It does seem like a lot of green to me -- but used Makos in the NE are not too common.

Good Luck,

Prop Blast
        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I agree with PropBlast. The hull and trailer seem to be fairly valued. If you get one season out of the engine it has paid for itself. Good luck.
          Rooster[br]1977 25CC[br]New Orleans, La[br][br]

Comment

seems logical to me - thanks

ag

Comment

I sold a 1985 Merc. 150 for $1500, scored cylinder and all. And yes, I did disclose the cylinder damage in my ad. I certainly wouldn't say the motor is worthless.... If it runs, you should easily be able to pull $1000 out of it. The high-po guys will eat it up if it's a 20"er.

The price still sounds high to me. In 2000, I paid $8000 for my 20' Grady w/ motor and no trailer. Since the Mako is older, but has a trailer, I would think a comparable offer would be fair.
              Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Seems a little on the high end. I picked up my 20' with an 80 Johnson 115 which runs great, very quiet, for $5500. The hull is solid and came complete with trailer/canvas sprayhood/dodger and cover. I picked it up on Cape Cod so there are some deals out there in NE.

Comment

The market for boats and engines is regional. What is inexpensive in one area, can be expensive in another.

Here in FL, engines are almost a comodity -- traded and swapped continually. Down here that '86 Merc is not going to bring any $$. I don't know the engine market in New England, so it may have some value.

Bottomline...if ag is interested, get the engine checked out closely. The last thing he wants to get stuck with is a $2,000 rebuild job.

Be Good,

Prop Blast
                  Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Keep checking ebay and traderonline.com there are lots of boats for sale out there. I think that price is a bit too much.

But I got the deal of the century..$7000 for my 1976 25'. Boat, motors, trailer, etc. The real killer was that I didn't actually pay cash for it, I traded my services for it.

Why didn't my wife see the beauty of this deal??

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Here is a 20' on ebay with a 200 with a buy in now price of just under $6000.

Comment

Working...
                      X