Fuel Tank Balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Balancing

I have 2 37 gallon fuel tanks on either side of the stern on my '75 23' Mako inboard. I just started using the boat this summer. The 2 fuel hoses connect to a fuel filter where there is a shut off valve for each tank. I left both valves open assuming the fuel would be consumed equally from each tank. It turns out that only one tank gets used with both valves open. The other is still completely full after 3 hours use. I shut down one valve now to use up the fuel in the other tank. Is this normal? Do people with 2 tanks have to alternate between one tank and the other to keep them balanced? ANy suggestions?

Matscot,

I don't know anything about your set up but I can offer my guesses.

Because fuel is being drawn up and out of the tanks. The tank that the fuel flows out of the easiest will enherently be the tank that it drains from first.

In tractor trailers with dual saddle tanks, I believe they have a line that run from the bottoms of each tank to let gravity balance them. However, I can see this line easily filling with crud and becoming useless, escpecially in an older boat.

Most vehicle fuel systems that have two tanks usually force you to use them seperately. For instance, dual tanks in a pick up they have a switch when you want to change over.

I am not sure why this is.

Sorry for the long winded post.

But to answer your question, I would say that it is fairly normal to have to isolate the tanks.
    1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

I have a 1988 inboard with two 40 gallon tanks. It draws off of one tank for a few hours and then the other. I don't know what happens when one runs out, can't be a good thing.
      Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

Working...
      X