Refinishing Wood on '75 Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing Wood on '75 Mako

I need to refinish a wood rub rail on my 20' Mako. I don't know what kind of wood was used. There is pealing and cracking varnish that must be removed. The wood beneath is bleached and dry. It has been recommended that I strip the existing finish then coat with "Captians" varnish(?). I wish I could be sure that it was teak and then oil it. Any suggestions?

When in doubt, ask an old dude, which is what i did. I run a marina on the Chesapeake Bay, so there are plenty of old dudes around. This one guy has a Cheoy Lee trawler with LOTS of finished wood. What he's used Cetol on still looks great, but what he used Captain's Varnish on looks awful. It didn't soak evenly, didn't color evenly, and after one year is peeling.

I'm no old dude, but here's my process:

1) Sand with 60-grit

2) Coat of Cetol Amber

3) Sand with 120-grit

4) Coat of Cetol Amber

5) Sand with 220-grit

6) Coat of Cetol Amber

7) Wipe with Acetone

8) Coat of Cetol Amber

9) Wipe with Acetone

10) Coat of Cetol CLEAR

11) Wipe with Acetone

12) Coat of Cetol clear

sure, with 24 hours of recommended drying time after each coat, it takes forEVER, but it looks good, and I expect it will last just as long.
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I would recommend that you look into Honey Teak by siginature finish's.

let's face it we want the rich wood look. We don't want be a slave to the boat.

There's a guy on Classic Seacraft that used it 5 or 6 yrs ago and it still looks great. his whole dash is wood.

I can't find the thread right now.

http://www.signaturefinish.com/index...pic=Honey+Teak

Comment

I consider myself less of a slave and more of an indentured servant. I figure in 7 years or so I'll be able to use the boat.
        \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
          X