Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank

I am not able to use all the fuel in my 35 gallon tank (Mako 17 (1990)). After I took the elbo off the fuel tank that leads to the engine fuel line I was not able to get the "Fuel Pick-up" out of the tank to check for damage. Does anyone know how to get the fuel pick-up out of the tank without replacing the fuel tank? Please tell me there is a way!!! I REALLY don't want to pull the console and the fuel tank!!

Any help is grately appreciated!

John

It may very well have the pickup welded into the tank. It comes out at the front under the console, but goes back down in the tank and turns 90deg to make the run to the back.

I could be wrong on YOUR tank, but that's the way mine was.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

It may very well have the pickup welded into the tank. It comes out at the front under the console, but goes back down in the tank and turns 90deg to make the run to the back.

I could be wrong on YOUR tank, but that's the way mine was.

Thanks, warthog5 for your response. This fuel tank thing has me baffled. I disconnected the fuel line and took off the elbow leading to the tank. There is a threaded bolt that connects to the gas tank. I removed it, expecting the fuel pickup to come out with it. Surprise!! Nothing. I took a coathanger with a crook in the end to hopefully pull it out to see if it possibly had broken off or had a hole approximartely 1/3 the way up from the bottom. It would not budge. It is apparently welded to the tank. So now I think my situation is: 1) The tank is actually a 20 gallon tank and every thing is working fine even though the manual says the tank is 35 gallons, 2) There were debris particles to cause the engine to shutdown as if it were out of gas, or 3) My engine briefly failed (carburator). I have put every thing back together and with an auxillary 6 gallon tank I will plan to run out of gas again. If if fills back up to exactly 20 gallons I think I have to assume the tank capacity is actually 20 gallons. Your thoughts would be appriated.

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me.[]

Comment

John,

Can you pull the sending unit to check the depth of the tank? If so, can you also snake a tape measure under the deck to get an appox. length and width of the tank.

If you have all three, multiply L X D x W to get the tanks approx. volume. The go here and do the conversion to gallons:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

Good luck.
          Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Heres the easy way to convert volume (in cubic inches) to gallons...

L x W x H/231
            Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Working...
            X