can I put 150 hp on 1992 Mako 17?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I put 150 hp on 1992 Mako 17?

Thinking about buying 1992 Mako 17 and putting a 150 hp. Max specified is 135 hp. What's the risk?

Weight and insurance.

Gary put a suped up 150 on his little beauty and it was a chick magnet.... []
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

The trade off with the 135 to 150 will be mostly speed, and fuel burn. You'll definately burn more fuel, at all rpms, and you can only go so fast in a 17' boat meant for fishing[]

Rude is right, the insurance guy won't like you either[8D]
      Doug [br]1972 Mako 19 [br]1990 Mako 211[br]Old Saybrook, CT[br]

Comment

If you keep your rpms in a normal range(which I have no idea how to do that) the 150 will get good milage. I could run about 35 to 38 mph @ 3500 rpms. Wide open throttle would make your butt pucker.[:u]

Comment

You dont need that much juice. It will be unsafe and you'll probably regret it doen the line. I have a 150hp Johnson on my Mako and if I could I would like to power down to a 130 or 115 since I dont need that kink of speed. Cruising at 20 knts is plenty for me for my purposes.
          1992 Luhrs 300 Tournament[br]1976 23\' SeaCraft CC Inboard[br]1988 9\' Boston Whaler[br]John P. out of [br]Quincy, MA

Comment

Let me ask you guys this... I wanted to go with new 130HP Yamaha for my 1990 17' I can't get one. So because the that I'm now going with the 140 Suzuki 4 stroke. Reason being is that it is the same size & weight of the 115 Suzuki 4 stroke. I don't know what the insurance ramifications will be.... the boat's Max 135HP rating was for 2 stroke power and back when a person's average weight was 135 lbs. I'm a lard ass - I'm 235 ish... I don't want a boat that takes 15 to 30 seconds to decide if its going to plane-off or not. I'm very interested in seeing how Rude's 17'performs with the 115HP... personally I'd rather have to much HP than not enough. Altough I'm sure the 115 is probably the way to go and will have more than enough power. Is anybody currently running a 115HP? Comments?
            Steve 171 Mako[br]Jupiter, FL.

Comment

quote:

I don't know what the insurance ramifications will be.... the boat's Max 135HP

There will be none. The insurance company hasn't said a word about my boat.

Originally 250HP max and I have 280HP on it.

Comment

I have had boats that were overpowered as well, I have never had a problem from my insurer. I have a friend who had a 21ft Sea Ray insured through another carrier who dropped his insurance. Initially he called in over the phone to tell them he bought it, when the agent came by his house to take a picture of it he looked at the manufacturers plate. The boat had a 225 on it, I don't remember what it was rated for. He wouldn't argue with the agent though, that boat was very light and it got really squirrely when he would put it in the corner. It's neat that the same motor would be a great fit for a 21 foot Mako CC.

I bet somebody here knows the answer to this: Is horsepower rating a product of a boats weight? hull design? or both?
                1980 Mako21 [br] [br]Long Beach MS <\')))>([br]\"I can always find somebody to tow me back in, but I can never find anybody who will tow me out.........\"

Comment

TOHATSU TLDI 115?

I saw one on the website, and I was wondering if anyone has anything to say about them.

I think they weigh 360 lbs, which maybe too much on a 17? (plus the 34 gallons of fuel).
                  --[br]best,[br]Ken[br]Woods Hole, MA[br]Mako angler 17 (1988) [br]Evenrude 110 (1990)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by steviepi

the boat's Max 135HP rating was for 2 stroke power

I might be wrong, but I don't think the type of HP matters. Horsepower is horsepower. The two different types will likely have a different horsepower and torque curve, but the max number is the max number, and at the rpms they make that horsepower, they should do the same work.

I'm all for the 150 on the 17 in this case. When I repowered my 19 I stayed with the 150 rating when I really wanted 200. I'm still wishing I would have and ass-kicking myself for not doing it.
                    Mark,[br]Madness[br]1976 Mako 19[br]Gramercy, LA[br]

Comment

Hello there. I am a new here, but I can offer a little something to this topic. I have a 115HP Merc on my 171 and it always seemed to have plenty of power for what I put in 17 feet of boat. It pops out very easily even with a load, but I do have a 5 blade prop on it which is probably helping a bit. I have never had a thought that it was underpowered in any way. It has been a while since I had it in the water but it's in the shop right now. It cruises at about 29-30 at 3500 I believe and tops out around 40. It's good to keep a much weight out of the boat as possible and it gets great mileage with the 115.
                      Greg[br]1990 Mako 171 Angler[br]Sugar Land, Texas

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by steviepi

I'm very interested in seeing how Rude's 17'performs with the 115HP...

So am I... []
                        Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Yeah, I'm putting 450 hp on a boat thats rated for 400 hp. The way i see it... they rated the boat wrong.[]
                          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Ya baby! This is what Im talkin bout.

Comment

Hey, is that picture at full tilt? [;^)][]
                              [br]1992 Mako 241[br]2000 Yamaha 150 HPDI\'s[br]Holden Beach, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X