Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Mako 221

Aloha all,

I am newly registered to the forum but have been sorting thru all topics for a while. I have a 1991 221 that I bought in Kona a couple of years ago. It was a great boat for the flat waters of kona but have not gained the confidence in it yet on the normal gusty trade wind days since relocating to Kauai. average day is 25-30 kts and six to eight foot seas.

If any one is interested I do have the original owners manual in excellent shape for this boat.

A couple of quick questions might make me feel more at ease in the seas here.

1. Does any one know why the discharge for the bildge is below water line? Mine is tied in with the dicharge line from the live well. I am thinking of at least adding a check valve and for sure am going to add another bildge pump manually switched to an above water line discharge. Maybe insecurity but like to see occasionally with

a flip of the switch if water is being pumped from the bildge.

2. I see a lot of posts on the topic of water in the fuel "coffin" area. and have a couple of thoughts there.

I was concerned my boat feels a little heavy at times in the water and today I drilled through the center screw hole that holds the cover for the fuel "coffin" I drilled it just large enough to get a piece of 1/4 " thin wall stainless tubing thru the foam and to the bottom of "coffin" I then reduced it to suction side of a shop vacuum with lots of things including duct tape so i could suck the water out of the area . I did get about 2 gallons of water with the bow raised signifigantly on the trailor with no noticeable gas fumes.I am going to try more suction tommorrow. I think this is a good way to at least give me confidence that the gas tank is not leaking and I now have a means to check for water. Any thoughts on that? I plan to just silicon that screw in so it can be removed and checked occasionally.

Second I agree with the posts that this area should not have a direct drain to the bildge for safety reasons, but also believe that if I was to go to the trouble or need to replace the fuel tank I would add a line with a valve to the bilge area that I could attatch a hose to and drain through the transom plug occasionally.

Sorry for such a long post but greatly appreciate the forumand the knowledge available on it

Thanks Otto

That's in interesting idea on draining the water from around the fuel tank. I may have to try something like that.

Are you sure about your bilge pump? I'm not sure how you are not filling up with water when the pump is off. You definitely need to change that setup ASAP. The bilge pump should always discharge above the water line. Does your bilge hose at least run up well above the waterline and then back down to the drain? That might save you from having water flow back into your boat, but certainly not the preferred method of installing a bilge pump.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Otto,

I have to agree, the bilge should pump out ABOVE the waterline through its own, separate, discharge line. You need to fix that ASAP. In addition, you should consider upgrading the bilge pump to at least 1500 GPH unit, a new automatic switch, and new wiring, Make sure you use the correct bilge hose, with smooth walls and reinforced walls.

For less than $150 it's worth the peace of mind.

Prop Blast
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prop Blast

Otto,

I have to agree, the bilge should pump out ABOVE the waterline through its own, separate, discharge line. You need to fix that ASAP. In addition, you should consider upgrading the bilge pump to at least 1500 GPH unit, a new automatic switch, and new wiring, Make sure you use the correct bilge hose, with smooth walls and reinforced walls.

For less than $150 it's worth the peace of mind.

As far as the fuel tank goes, if you're concerned about the integrity of the fuel tank pod, you'll want to remove the entire cap -- that's really the only way. I know, the cap runs under your console. It adds work, but it's the best way. If the foam is water logged, you can cut it out and refoam. Finally reseal the cap properly and you shouldn't have anymore problems.

Prop Blast

Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

QUOTE:

I did get about 2 gallons of water with the bow raised signifigantly on the trailor with no noticeable gas fumes.I am going to try more suction tommorrow. I think this is a good way to at least give me confidence that the gas tank is not leaking and I now have a means to check for water. Any thoughts on that?

I sue am glad you didn't have any gas fumes. You would have known it right away when the vacuum went BOOM! This is dangerous. The fumes get sucked by the vacuum and the spark at the brushs in the motor will ignight them and blow the vacuum to hell.[xx(]

Comment

Thanks for responses ,

Special thanks to warthog , appreciate the warning !!! In future endeavors will use manual or fuel transfer pump to test for water!!

I will consider me and the vacuum lucky.

On the bildge problem. This boat is very low hour boat. Less than 300 hours on original engines and I think all bildge plumbing is facory. The strange thing is the manual clearly shows a high gunnel discharge for the bildge, but there is no sign that there ever was one. The bilge discharge ties into the live baitwell overflow which exits low thru the transom.

I think this point is above water while in motion but not when

drifting. I had a bit of a heart throb in Kona when i first got her. I was night chunking for tuna on flat water and did take on some unexplained water. I checked and all valves to livewell etc were closed. I think this bildge thing may explain it .

My plan is to reroute existing discharge to a high point out the gunnels. It is a 1500 gph with float switch. I am also going to add another 1100 rule automatic pump and rout it sperately out again high and dry. I have had a couple of uncomfortable days due to faulty pumps/ float switch and believe in redundancy there.

I have considerable time at sea here and in alaska as a commercial fisherman and charter captain, but am one of the few who have down sized to smaller boats , this is my first trailerable in years and am still working on the comfort level of the boat and me.

I now only sport fish and do not have to push any limits.

i think the "heaviness" I have experienced with the boat are due to that adapting to a smaller boat as well as the experience in kona.

I do believe in a boat being at least in 100 % or better. I have seen too many 90 % ers pay the price.

Thanks all again, and if any one is headed this way give me a shout and we maybe can test the waters.

OTTO

Comment

Also, for less than $20.00, put a check valve in the bilge discharge hose. I put one on my 18 Backcountry and no more wet bilge.

[8D]
              Captain Scott[br][email protected][br]Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by force2bseen

Aloha all,

I am newly registered to the forum but have been sorting thru all topics for a while. I have a 1991 221 that I bought in Kona a couple of years ago. It was a great boat for the flat waters of kona but have not gained the confidence in it yet on the normal gusty trade wind days since relocating to Kauai. average day is 25-30 kts and six to eight foot seas.

If any one is interested I do have the original owners manual in excellent shape for this boat.

A couple of quick questions might make me feel more at ease in the seas here.

1. Does any one know why the discharge for the bildge is below water line? Mine is tied in with the dicharge line from the live well. I am thinking of at least adding a check valve and for sure am going to add another bildge pump manually switched to an above water line discharge. Maybe insecurity but like to see occasionally with

a flip of the switch if water is being pumped from the bildge.

2. I see a lot of posts on the topic of water in the fuel "coffin" area. and have a couple of thoughts there.

I was concerned my boat feels a little heavy at times in the water and today I drilled through the center screw hole that holds the cover for the fuel "coffin" I drilled it just large enough to get a piece of 1/4 " thin wall stainless tubing thru the foam and to the bottom of "coffin" I then reduced it to suction side of a shop vacuum with lots of things including duct tape so i could suck the water out of the area . I did get about 2 gallons of water with the bow raised signifigantly on the trailor with no noticeable gas fumes.I am going to try more suction tommorrow. I think this is a good way to at least give me confidence that the gas tank is not leaking and I now have a means to check for water. Any thoughts on that? I plan to just silicon that screw in so it can be removed and checked occasionally.

Second I agree with the posts that this area should not have a direct drain to the bildge for safety reasons, but also believe that if I was to go to the trouble or need to replace the fuel tank I would add a line with a valve to the bilge area that I could attatch a hose to and drain through the transom plug occasionally.

Sorry for such a long post but greatly appreciate the forumand the knowledge available on it

Thanks Otto

Comment

force2bseen,

I also own a 1991 221 and my bildge pumps above the water line not sure why yours would be rig that way!

I run my mako in Nantucket Sound off Cape Cod in handles the water here great. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                  X