Throttle/Steering Cable Through Hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle/Steering Cable Through Hole

Anybody have a good way to waterproof the Throttle / steering cables as they come out the through-hole? I have the standard plastic boot with a zip tigh, but since they are so low in the transom area, water still gets down the hole into the bilge. The boat is a 1984 238.

Mark

A better setup would be the flanges and swimming pool hose. That's what I call it. Some of the earily motors are not designed to accept this setup.

It's the hose setup you see on bracketed boats. I can't find a pix right now. I did buy all of the stuff thru Surplus Unlimited and it's made by T-H Marine. They don't show the chrome fittings in their catalog, but I got them. They have Black & White fittings in their catalog.

http://www.thmarine.com/product.cfm?PRID=103

Comment

Here are a couple close ups. The hoses screw into the threaded thru hull. Easy and neat looking. I got mine from shipyard marine.

Strick

Oakley, California

Comment

How do you make your tie-in at the engine? The hose looks like it would be too thick to tuck into the engine clamp.
        Ole Joe
        Just floundering around
        White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
        1978 Mako 25

Comment

Some motors you can't tie them in. [Older style]

The newer style motors have a boss where the cables go into the motor pan and these 2in hoses slip over that boss and is clamped there. My new DF140 Suzuki's have the boss.[]

Comment

Got it. I'm thinking inside because I've always done it that way. Perfect! I've got the same bosses. Thanks Bobby.

Funny thing. I was looking at the splash well boots Monday afternoon and wondering what I could do to tighten up that area.
            Ole Joe
            Just floundering around
            White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
            1978 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
            X