Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What age do you consider a "Classic Mako"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age do you consider a "Classic Mako"?

Just curious what most of you would consider a "Classic". This could get interesting!
    Shaun T Jeffries[br]1988 Mako 17 Standard Pompano Beach, Florida[br]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/aucshaun/Boat/mako2.jpg

I consider the classics to go right up to about 1993 or so when they started changing the models to euro-transom type hulls. Those are also the models made while the company was still owned by the original owners.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that in order for a Mako to be classic it has to have the teak. That immediately removes all the boats built after the early to mid-nineties. However, several years ago we replaced the casting platform hatch covers on our '75 17 angler with starboard. I think if we had the money we would have re-done them in teak. The forward hatch and the hatch on the console remain teak as does the step plates. So, maybe it is only half a classic?!

A classic Mako may also be one in which the deck or sole is gold. This definition is pretty narrow. I feel like there were many classics built after Mako went to white decks. I would never put gold gelcoat on anything, although a Mako gold deck is unique and I think adds value to the old boats. Further, I really like some of the custom blues, and khakis I have seen on decks. I would note that the custom deck colors look best when they follow the original lines of nonskid and therefore retain the white accent lines around hatches and along corners. This is especially true on the front casting platform with the white strip down the center and on the gunwales.

There is a certain look to all Mako hulls built before the mid 80’s.

The lines of the early Mako’s have an indefinable character that makes them classic. This is exemplified by the change in hull design of the Mako 25 around 1984 or 85. After that time it did not seem there was the same attention to detail in design or construction. This may have coincided with the transfer of leadership from the elder Schwebke to his son, although I am not sure. However, the Mako 261 seemed to have taken its place about that time. In fact, I think one of the last great boats Mako built was the 261 CC and the similarly designed 231CC of the late 80’s and early 90’s.

In the end, if you love your Mako no matter the age and put blood sweat and tears into her, she will look good and last. That probably matters more than if it is a classic or not. Contrary to popular media older is not always worse.

My favorite Mako models are the 17 angler, 23 inboard, 224, 25, 258 cuddy, and the 261.

Cliff
      Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

I would have to agree with my brother Cliff, the boat has to have teak on it. Ever since the early 90s I don't think a Mako has been the same. The change of the transom might have added fishing room, but it takes away from the classic lines of a Mako. I would have to disagree with you about the gold deck, I would love to see us put the deck of the 25 back to gold to match the 17. Although, seeing some of the custom colors on this website, I am still open. The Makos that predate the early 90s have a much better ride to them than the models after the early 90s. The boats sit back down in the water better, therefore not jerking you back and forth. I do hope to spend some money for the teak to mill hatch covers for the 17.

Martin
        Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Working...
        X