261 owners- which props?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 261 owners- which props?

I would like to know what you guys are running on your 261's. I've got an '87 with twin 200 yamis running 15 1/2x17 SWS yami props and am having trouble cracking blade tips. They work great otherwise, excellent time to plane and 5500 WOT. Thanks...
    \'87 261 200 yamis[br]\'86 Actioncraft 130 yami[br]Palm Harbor,Fl

I have the same year boat with the orig. engines. I have always run 19 pitch and have never had any problem with props. Try a pair.

Comment

When we bought our boat, it was rigged with a pair of 19P yam s/s wheels...the ones that are black and have the relatively sharp tips. Those wheels SUCK.

We were only getting 4900-5100 WOT depending on load. As you know, thats not good and probably the majority of the reason we experienced wrist pin failure, as those era yams are prone to, particularly if overpropped.

We dropped down to a pair of 17P Stilettos and I couldnt be happier. Currently turn about 5400 WOT, right where they should be running. Speed stayed pretty much the same across the board, except maybe gaining at top end (cant remember, I really never go there!) which proves how much more efficient these wheels are over those POS stock yams. Bottom line, I get 29+ knots at 4000 RPM.

The stilettos also have alot more trim response than do those yams, due to the larger tip area. In flat water, I can really 'fly' the hull now. As well, they hang on better at sub-planing speeds in slop due to the amount of cup they run.

If you're running the same stock Yam wheels.....you can do better! You say you're cracking blade tips....?? Are your engines mounted particularly high...or are you cavitating alot?? Just wondering how you break tips.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Thanks for the info. My engines are '97's with new pheads. My props are the performance kind, not the older black ones(although the older ones are my favorite for durablity).I think the blade tips cracked because I set the engines on the third hole down and I would blow them out once in a while. I've since set the engines back to the second hole and that's eliminated my cavitation issue but reduced my performance alittle. What is the diameter of your props? Also, how do you have your trim anodes set?

BTW- I flipped my feet so the counterrotating engine is on the starboard side, Huge improvement in the way she backs down and the hull has a slightly better running attitude.

Comment

Pete-

Not sure on the dia - They dont offer a choice for the V6 Yam as I recall....a 1/4" isnt going to make any appreciable difference. I've been told the Michigan Rapture is almost the same wheel, went with the stilettos due to price.

As far as trim anodes...well, being I have CR's, I actually sawed off the fin part on both, so my anodes are just flat plates. They really only come in to play on a single engine rig, with a CR setup they should be straight. I figured they just add drag, I must have been real bored that day.

I've thought about swapping lower units myself, just never got around to doing it. Have you seen any improvement in speed? I was told you gain a knot or two across the board. Any truth to that?
          1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

When I was propping my mako21 I tried a stiletto to replace the black stainless yami wheel I was running. The numbers were almost identical except the yami wheel came out of the whole a half second faster.I was thinking to drop and inch in diameter to a 14 1/2 x 19p. These 15 1/2 wheels are huge. Maybe I'll find someone around here with a pair to loan. Not to critical now that I've solved the cav problem.

Switching the drives helped overall. The boat runs higher out of the water, (or the nose runs lower). The whole rig feels lighter this way. Top speed is about the same, although I'll know for sure when winter comes. The hot air and water temps are a total drag on my carbed engines. The best I've run so far is 48mph with a moderate load.

Comment

Working...
            X