1980, 25ft price thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980, 25ft price thoughts

I have been looking at a 1980 25ft. Seems to be well cared for, it's in very good condition for its age cosmeticly. It does however have the original tank and the original transom, which the owner claims is solid, I am skeptical, as well as no soft spots in the floor. It has a 2008 etec 250 with 600 hrs and no trailer included. Has a dodger, t top enclosure, and basic but serviceable electronics. I know the tank and transom are definitely projects coming up quick. He is asking $14,900. Is that a reasonable starting point for a largely original 38 year old boat? Is the etec going to be enough to push that boat well? May run up and look at it this weekend.

Current
    '76 Mako 25 w/ '03 300 Yamaha HPDI
    Previous
    '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
    '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
    Brick, NJ

Sounds like you are talking yourself out of the purchase. Before you do, go look. Your imagination may be turning a good boat into a project boat.

Bounce on the transom and deck. Tap on (sound) suspect areas for soft core. Check the bildge(s). Open the small tank hatch under the console and inspect the hoses and visable tank surface. Do the sniff test. Do a compression test. Do a sea trial. You should be able to answer your questions.

Price sounds right to me if condition is what the seller has told you.
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Ya I could have done a better job with word choice. I didnt mean to sound like I was talking myself out of it, I really like the boat and think it could be a good fit. Just trying to gauge what a fair price would be, not much out there to compare to. As well as get an idea of how that etec would perform.

Current
      Previous
      Brick, NJ

Comment

I'd be curious about that etec as well. I have a 231 pushed by a 2016 etec 200 h.o. and I wish I had a 250
        1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

I'm sorry..

Really did not mean to offend. Rather, I wanted to encourage you to look at it yourself.

Everyone will have their own ideas regarding price. What you see will have more bearing on price (your offer) then anything we say.

Let us know how it looks to you.
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Mine has a single 1979 225 Johnson. She has very low hours and still runs like she is new. Moves the boat very nicely on plane an hold about 35 mph without winding her too tight.

I think a newer etec 250 would be a fine fit unless you are trying to get offshore in record time.

Take the boat for a spin and she how it rides...you will be amazed.
            1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by flounder

I'm sorry..

Really did not mean to offend. Rather, I wanted to encourage you to look at it yourself.

Everyone will have their own ideas regarding price. What you see will have more bearing on price (your offer) then anything we say.

Let us know how it looks to you.

Oh man please dont take it that way, I read what I wrote and you were right I did sound that way. I am not the offended type, I have pretty thick skin. I knew what you were trying to say, good advice at that.

Current
              Previous
              Brick, NJ

Comment

Thank you fanfare. I appreciate your comments...I feel better. The last thing I want is to come across as a jerk.
                Ole Joe
                Just floundering around
                1978 Mako 25

Comment

I am bout to post a 261 with twin 250 Yamaha's (800hrs), new bracket, T-top less then 4 years old, new sending unit but original tank. Pressure checked good. New trim tabs and has a trailer. Will be listed for about $22 had for about $20 if that helps with a ballpark.

grab that bout for 11-12 and I think you have a winner.
                  [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

Even without pics, that price seems high to me, no trailer and all original.. I'd assume a new $2k tank is in the future. If you hang a heavy 4-stroke, a new transom may be in the cards too.

But you've had older Makos, you know what to look for.
                    [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mrdelgado

Even without pics, that price seems high to me, no trailer and all original.. I'd assume a new $2k tank is in the future.

I agree with this, tank needed for sure.
                      David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Here is a link to the boat. I did figure on a tank and a transom at some point in the near future. But I was having a hard time seeing if he asking price was a fair starting point.

The cushions are one of a kind, custom to match the umbrella.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/bo...730664684.html

Current
                        Previous
                        Brick, NJ

Comment

Looks like a nice boat, though the striped cushions hurt my eyes. Etecs are a great engine, unlike most people's opinion.

Demand he have an engine report run & printed by a reputable BRP service shop. I have an '08 175hp Etec that I've had great luck with.

When was the last 300 hr service done? What oil does he use? Has he been running XD100 oil on the XD100 setting? XD100 oil on the XD50 setting even better. TCW3 NOT recommended.
                          1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

One more thing on the Etec. They like to be able to reach max RPM's at WOT. Not that you have to run them there, just be able to if you want to.

If it hasn't been propped correctly & has been "lugged" for 600 hrs - stay away from it.
                            1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

So it ran me close to 3.5k to replace the tank on my 1991 231, and I repowered with a 300 Etec, that engine throws my boat out of the water, and by the way its for sale!!

Comment

Working...
                              X