Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Mako 254 For Sale

Background Information:

I bought this boat at the end of last summer from the original owner. I got a good deal which allowed me to invest the necessary funds to get her where I wanted her.

That meant replacing (with pre-enjoyed units) both tilt units, new electronics and full engine tune ups (by the mechanic who originally installed the motors and knows them inside and out) including a new fuel lift pump on the port engine as well as new plugs, gapped correctly for these motors. New white vinyl leaning post cover, and miscellaneous cosmetics.

I have run the boat for all of the 2017 season and have fixed the few small problems that have surfaced during that period including tilts, new, OEM power distribution panel on port motor, and a new port fuel lift pump (again, the original mechanic did the work.

The boat is located on a mooring in Darien, CT (06820).

The Power:

Twin 1998 Ficht 175's. The motors had 750 hours when I bought the boat. I haven't run the software since, but I would estimate just over 800 now.

I would rather not discuss the reputation of Fichts. At 800 hours, the fuse would have to be incredibly long if there were going to be major problems. Before I bought the boat, my mechanic (The Bait Shop in Rowayton, CT, an authorized dealer) ran diagnostics. The result showed that neither motor had ever tripped a fault, and solid, even compression. They have been flawless all summer with the exception of the fixes above. They are fitted with stainless, 4 blade props, providing incredible power out of the hole.

Fuel Tanks:

As far as I know, they are original.

I know the risk here on these boats, but no fumes and no fuel in the bilge so I have not replaced them. Main tank holds 150 gallons, aux holds 50 gallons. The auxiliary pump comes on, but I have not used that tank as I have never had fuel capacity issues. I don't know the condition of the aux tank.

Electronics:

New Lowrance Hook 9 installed spring 2017. Not the best unit and serious fisherman will want to replace. Fine for my needs.

New Simrad VHF installed spring 2017 with console mounted speaker.

New Fusion stereo and 2 new fusion speakers installed in 2017,older model (West Marine leftover) wired for Bluetooth with external module (BT -55??)

All gauges work with the exception of the starboard volt meter.

I have rebuilt EEM units ready to go and will include them in the sale.

I also have original bill of sale, manuals for motors and the boat itself.

The teak:

All original and in very good shape. I cleaned it mid 2017 season. It is on the darker side, but I like it that way. If you want it perfect, should be sanded and re-oiled.

Canvas:

Heavy duty bow dodger with stainless frame. Console cover in good shape, one patch over the throttles. Full set of cushions with original vinyl' in great shape. As noted, new leaning post cushion 2017.

Performance:

I don't know, and don't think I can get, the fuel burn numbers. She tops out at about 35 at 5000 rpm, I cruise at 3800 and roughly 25.

Sips oil.

Current Needs:

Bottom needs to be blasted. There is thick bottom paint from years of new coats.

I do not have a trailer.

I don't have a leaning post cover. The teak around the rod holders in the console should probably be protected.

Aside from that, it's ready to go.

Price is $14,500. There is a small profit at that price for me after all of the investments, but this price is very fair. I love the boat so willing to keep it. Have found my dream boat, but by no means desperate. Rather firm.

This boat is not listed for sale outside of this forum. You guys appreciate these boats.

Feel free to call, text, or email. Max, 646 784 2565, [email protected].

Detailed pictures coming asap.

Thanks, Max

Just curious what you guys think? Thanks

Comment

Tough without pictures. I assume no T-TOP? The motors are 19 years old and will be tough baggage down in the south. to add the top, power and trailer- new owner is looking at about $35K. That puts the investment at $49K. What are you paying for your dream boat? I would love a 254 I can put my new motor.
      [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. The boat has a t top with a stainless frame and canvas top. I added 6 bolt-on stainless rod holders to the top.

I agree on repowering. Engines are strong and I see no need to repower now. This is the classic dilemma. The boat won't be worth the cost of the new motors immediately after the repower. If you are looking to keep this boat for a long time, it's worth the repower. If you are going to repower it and flip it, it's the wrong situation.

If I don't sell it, I plan to run the current motors until one or both fail, and put a single, large motor on the back.

Will have pictures ASAP

What is a fair price? Open to suggestions

Thanks.

Comment

Bunch of views. I am working on the pictures. Is the price too high regardless? Please make suggestions. Thanks

Also, T-Top is factory original (on the bill of sale)...

Comment

Now on craigslist.

Comment

How about a link? Looked through a bunch of areas in Conn and don't see it...
              quote:

Originally posted by mdltuck02

Now on craigslist.

​​Pat S.
              Long Island, NY

1986 Mako 17 - Sold
              2014 Yamaha F115 4 Stroke

1981 Mako 25
              2016 Suzuki DF250 4 Stroke

"Waitress, I need two more boat drinks..." - Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Never mind, I found it in NY CL...

Nice looking boat, but I would suggest more pics!

Anyway, looks like you bought this boat for $6500 with a trailer. So what makes it worth more than double that without one?

Tanks are orig and will need replacing sooner or later for probably about $5k. Motors are 20 years old, have known issues (although I agree that if they haven't had them yet, they are probably not affected), and will probably need to be re-powered for about $25k.

Sorry, not bashing, just wondering where you came up with that price...
                quote:

Originally posted by Rags

How about a link? Looked through a bunch of areas in Conn and don't see it...

quote:

Originally posted by mdltuck02

Now on craigslist.

​​Pat S.
                Long Island, NY

1986 Mako 17 - Sold

1981 Mako 25

Comment

I considered my investment for lasting improvements. I also got a steal on the boat in the first place as noted.I am open to prices suggestions from potential buyers. Nothing to hide here.

I also used as many comparable boats and pricing as I could find (here and elsewhere) as a guide to market value...my ask seems fair based on that...

Comment

Looking to the brain trust for market value...thanks

Comment

The ask when I bought the boat was 15k (for what that's worth). High I know, but the owner wanted out and I was able to get it well below market...

Comment

I have been scouring CL for a 22 from the late 80's or early 90's so I am very familiar with those prices based on what condition they are in. Don't see as many 25's (although there are currently some late 70's models in our area), but if you expand down the coast to Florida you can see some comparable boats. I would say its not a bad asking price, but be prepared to see offers in the 8-10k range. Maybe some more experienced members could give their thoughts. Good luck with the sale. If you are willing to come down to that range, let me know as I may be interested. the wife wants a bigger boat...
                        ​​Pat S.
                        Long Island, NY

1986 Mako 17 - Sold

1981 Mako 25

Comment

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I think 8-10 would be an insane buy for a 25 footer with twins and I would definitely pay that for this one, especially with my improvements. Unfortunately I can't sell it there. It's too good of a boat. thanks again, Max

Comment

Unfortunately there will probably be a lot of boats for sale after Irene. Jest sayin.[]

Comment

ugh. well this one is awesome. I found an ocean master 31. otherwise, I would keep it for a very long time. Best to our friends in the south.

Comment

Working...
                              X