Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 21B available, save it from the insurance company

Hi Guys,

Here is the link to my Classic Mako project that started in 2006. https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/classicmako-com-forums/mako-projects/13156-close-in-stern-of-21b-good-or-bad-idea/page21 It's still on the projects pages. I just checked and added some additional documentation.

Unfortunately, I ran her aground on the rocks two weeks ago and spent the night on board as she bounced on the flat rocks first on the outgoing tide and then on the incoming tide. I floated off 8 hrs after I ran aground and drove her home. Fortunately the weather was flat calm and the rocks were also pretty flat so the bouncing was not on jagged rocks and only while she settled on to the bottom and then while enough water came up around her to float her again. Her bottom is not punched as I ran her for two more days before putting her on the trailer to be looked at. When I did that water does indeed drain out from the keel area. The boat yard says that in order to repair her the console and deck have to come off so they could work from the inside once she is dry and they say their work would exceed the value of the boat. The insurance company agrees and is calling her a total and offering me $16,000 for her. I would much rather see her go to someone who can repair her themselves. I know that I could in a few weeks but I'm not in a position to take her apart again so I'm looking to sell her for $20,000 without the trailer or $25,000 with the trailer. The link to my project pages that shows what has been documented on Classic Mako along with some other items after I stopped posting to CM.

If this is something any of you are interested in email me directly offsite and I will send you the photos and documentation from the boat repair shop. [email protected]
    Gloucester, Mass

Hoping to keep her afloat for another decade and out of the breakers yard.
    Miles

Gloucester, MA

making headway with my insurance company. It's possible that I might buy her back from her. If anyone is interested in her please make me an offer. All offers considered.
    Gloucester, MA

Comment

your best bet is get a good deal from insurance, buy it back and redo it. Or take the money and let it go maybe part off pieces where you can. At that price point its likely a $10k job to fix what you're describing. So while 30k might be a good deal vs a new boat there are other 21 for 16-20k

Comment

Yup, I agree. I haven't had the discussion with my insurance company about buying it back just yet. If I do buy it back it will be to part off the pieces. When I redid this one, I said that it would be my last project.

Keep an eye on this space for deals as we go forward. I'm putting together a list of parts that would become available if I should buy her back as I type this. Trying to get a feel of what they would be worth so I know what to pay the insurance co for the boat. Of course, if anyone sees any item in the pics of the project that they would like to ask me about now all the better.
        Gloucester, MA

Comment

If you part it out I’m interested in the console

Comment

Still waiting to hear back from my insurance company but I'll put your name on the list of persons looking for parts with console next to your name. If it becomes available would you want it with the windshield and wiring harness? The engine harness and engine gauges would be going with the engine.
            Gloucester, MA

Comment

If I could get the windshield that would be awesome, but I think someone else is interested in that. I think the one I have will work. I’ll take measurements when I get back from vacation. If I could get the switch panel and harness that would be awesome. I’m really sorry you have to go through all of this.

Comment

I'd be interested in the louvered teak hatches.

Comment

I could use the fuel tank as well as the leaning post and the cushions.

Comment

Ok, so the insurance company and I have come to an agreement on payment where they will take the boat. I won't be able to part it out. The only thing I could do is sell it in it's entirety and then deduct that from what they have agreed to pay me.

So, If anyone is interested in buying her as is knowing that you will have to remove the deck to repair the damage down low in front of the console and remove soaked foam throughout the hull she is available for $10,000 without trailer and $13,000 with trailer. Go over my classic mako project log to see exactly what you would be getting. I would have to have an answer quickly (a week tops) along with a deposit and full payment and removal right after that. There is no guarantee that you might find additional issues once you remove the deck but I'm pretty confident that once the deck is removed the rest is pretty straightforward.

The good news is that everything you take out to repair the hull can go right back in again and all of it is only a few years old. The main fuel tank is new, the secondary day tank I installed is only a few years old. All wiring is in place including the electronics box with stereo and VHF. The engine has 700 hours on it after the 2019 rebuild and the lower unit was replaced the following year. I did snap the skeg off the lower unit below the prop during the grounding but there are replacement skegs available to be welded on.

Thanks for listening. This is killing me.
                    Gloucester, MA

Comment

Really sorry to hear about the loss. Great looking resto. In all my years being on here, your boat is the closest spec to mine especially with the larger console on the smaller hull (usually spot our consoles on 25 / 26 or inboards). Surprisingly I am just down the way in CT from you. Same console, teak hatches, and deck layout with leaning post.

You went the best route with the insurance company. I am sure someone will snatch it up to do the repairs. I would kill for quite a few items off that boat. Actually heading up to the cape next week too!

Comment

Thanks Martimat, I hate to think of her sitting in a field someplace while the gulls pick her apart. Enjoy the cape.
                        Gloucester, MA

Comment

I told my insurance company that I was going to sit on it for a while before selling her to them. I'd rather see her go to someone who will put her back in the water than to a yard to break her up for parts.

10K takes everything but the trailer. Boat, engine, new tanks, new steering, new wiring, new Ttop, all new cushions and canvas, pumps, batteries, rocket launcher, original bow rail and bimini top that I took off but didn't reinstall. Electronics box with VHF and Stereo installed inside, collapsible lobster trap table that quick releases in and out of starboard rail, filleting/bait cutting station that quick releases in and out of the port rail. All the spare parts I have for pumps, Merc oil, etc. etc. Trailer available for an extra 3K. 4 new tires a month ago along with 2 new wheel bearings. If someone wants the whole package I'll replace the other two wheel bearings that I was going to do this fall just to make sure there are no problems trailering her to her new home.

Going to list her here and on Craigs List and wait a while to see what happens before I let the bone yard have her.
                          Last edited by gloucapt; 08-11-2021, 06:04 PM.
                          Gloucester, MA

Comment

Willing to sell the bow dodger?
                            1985 Mako 21B w/ 2013 Yamaha F300[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42046 [br]1967 Boston Whaler 13\'[br]1971 Boston Whaler 13\'[br]Richmond Hill,GA[br]

Comment

Sorry, not going to break her apart myself. Going to let her sit for a few weeks here and in a couple of other places to sell the entire boat/trailer. If not, she'll go to the insurance company for them to break her up and sell off the parts.
                              Gloucester, MA

Comment

Working...
                              X