Getting ready.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready.....

Got the Xm radio installed and some lures rigged. Here is a pic the radio... you know important stuff first. I also got the doel fin installed and plan on trying it out tomrrow.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Did a little work on the boat as well today. There's too much still but it's fishable so I'm going to say enough. Still waiting for the brakes on the "new" trailer so I can do the swap, switch out 2 tires, and adjust the bunks and jack to fit. That's all I'm going to do. I'll leave the pretty boat stuff to the rest of you guys.

I need to get busy and start tying up some King rigs now.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Steven, would you tie up an extra one or two for Tim and I, I dont know if my salmon lures are gonna do the trick on those salty devels.

[:u] Also all my rods are rigged with 20 lb test. Sould I rig up with something different?? thanks. dave.
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

20 lb test is enough for Kings and the trolling we did last year Dave. I've got 25 lb Trilene Big Game on most of my tackle. The TLD 30Ws and TLD 50Ws are spooled with 40 and 50 lb Big Game. Those are for when we're lookin to catch the fish that need the harness. []
        Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Dave, no problem. We can have a king rig pow wow Thursday while we suck on some mudbug heads. I'll have wire and hooks. Artie is spot on, 20# is all you need for Kings. More important is line capacity, I may even down size to 17# test to get a little more line capacity if the reel is on the small side. 200yrds is plenty for snake kings (under 10#) but you'll want closer to 300-400yrds for the larger kings. Your salmon rigs should do just fine. Bring an extra bulk spool (1400yrds) of 20# line though just in case you get spooled. You can use those same king rigs to bottom fishing for snapper. Grouper you'll want something a bit stouter with 50# test.

Sailor, what time does half-hitch close? I need to pickup some 8oz leads. I'm fresh out.
          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by HungOne

Sailor, what time does half-hitch close? I need to pickup some 8oz leads. I'm fresh out.

I believe they close at 5 PM still. Wally world carries a good selection of weights and they are open 24 hours.

Dave - you also want some 50 - 100 lb test mono leader. For bottom fishing, you slip a sliding egg sinker on your line, tie a barrel swivel on, then tie the leader to the other end, which then gets a circle hook. Slap on your bait and drop her down. You can use a large spinning rod for the snappers and small groupers but for bigger fish you need a 4/0. I will be bottom fishing with two Penn 4/0's as well as my new Shimano TLD 25's. [8D] All four rods will also double as my trolling rods.

I've been out this morning doing small items like figuring out how to secure my gaff since I took the bow rail off, and more importantly, how to wire my t-top light for both an anchor and nav light. [?]
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Comment

Steven,

What time are you getting there thurs. Ive got my sabiki rod, penn 113 (for bottom finder rig), and my Saltiga for my jig or spoon. 90 lb. power pro on all. Im a grouper digger.

I cant wait!!!!!! Im ready to go!!!!!!

Patrick Barber
              1978 Mako21[br]2001 200 Rude[br](under the knife)[br]1993 Proline 241[br]Yamaha F225[br]

Comment

Patrick, good deal. I've got 15 rod holders on the boat so we've got room for your bait & meat sticks. I heard that Saltiga was a great bottom fishing reel. Man I'm getting excited. I want to leave early Thursday morning but considering that Nick and I will be out-numbered 2 to 1 (women to men) I'm not sure how early that will be but I'm guessing landed at the hotel by 5pm. My cell phone # is 770-331-1795 in case you need it though.

Sailor, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll stop my convoy at Wally World in Crestview to take care of misc tackle and fishing license.

Comment

Working...
                X