This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South East Florida Mako club

Well we've been talking about starting this club for awhile and Rolran and I have decided to make this happen. I have some intense weeks coming up with my work so I would like to take this time to get some feedback on what people would want to get out of their "club".

How many other "clubs" are in Florida now? After all we don't want to end up like the "bloods and the crypts"[] Do we want a South Florida club or a more intimate South East club? Regardless I would like to be able to "overlap"a little to include anyone that want's to join regardless of there "geographical handicap"[]

How serious do you want to be? Do we want to incorporate? We could even go the route of a 501c3 and as we grow we could "give back" with charitable events (depending on how many people we have)or, we could be very informal and just meet from time to time to shoot the sh** and share war stories. Either is fine by me. I do like the idea of a more formal club that can grow and benefit everyone with "membership" privileges like "discount" programs with local tackle shops, marinas, restaurants, bars etc... All of this depends on the response this gets, so let's hear it folks! What do you guys think?
    Drewsocean, Lake Worth, Fl[br]1980 Mako 21\' 2001 merc 225 \"Sarah\'s shadow\"-R.I.P. 11/10[br]1978 Mako 21\' 2000 Johnson 225[br]

I would definitely be interested in getting involved. I have also spoken to Rolran about the thought of an east/south east club, so I guess we have 3 people so far. LOL. I say start simple. A few get togethers to see what kind of response there is and let it evolve from there.
    http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/76mako25/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf72a9b06.jpg[/IMG][br]Ronkonkoma, NY[br]1981 Mako 235 -- present boat[br]1988 Aquasport 290 tournament master -- SOLD[br]1976 Mako 25 -- SOLD

Comment

Count me in Drew
      84 mako 254 \"Child Seaport\" Polk City Fl

Comment

Ive got some helpful tips and info for you, And there are guite a fiew ex "South Florida MOC members lerking in the depths of the State.

It would be great to have a Funament in Marathon again someday...

Private e-mail for more or call.

I can explain about the 501.c.7 reasons and some important stuff.

DinghiesNDavits (dot) com for cell #

Jim
        June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

I agree with Joe find out who's interested and their location we can

set a meeting up centrally located and go from there
          1977 Mako 21 200 yamaha[br]PSL Fl[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Manasotamako

Ive got some helpful tips and info for you, And there are guite a fiew ex "South Florida MOC members lerking in the depths of the State.

It would be great to have a Funament in Marathon again someday...

Private e-mail for more or call.

I can explain about the 501.c.7 reasons and some important stuff.

DinghiesNDavits (dot) com for cell #

.................................................. ..................

I would give Jim a call ASAP - His reputation is outstanding and he has a wealth of experience with regards to clubs and fundaments. Basically, you are getting an expert consultation for free

Restored 1984 Mako 224[br]Porta Bracket[br]2015 250 Evinrude E-tec[br]Ellenton, FL[br]Deck Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19090[br]Paint Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21493[br]Interior Restore Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30648[br]New Transom and Repower Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41093[br]Starboard Tackle Center Project: www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46296

Comment

Sounds good to me[8D] Thanks for the clarification on the 501c7 classification. I have a lot of experience with "c3" and would assume they are very similar in structure, with the "c7" designation being more appropriate for a social club.

And yes Jeff, my comment on the "geographically challenged" was meant for you, sydgoose and GoodChance![][]

Question for Joe. Is that your 76 25' Mako in your signature pic?
              Drewsocean, Lake Worth, Fl[br]1980 Mako 21\' 2001 merc 225 \"Sarah\'s shadow\"-R.I.P. 11/10[br]1978 Mako 21\' 2000 Johnson 225[br]

Comment

Woo, first post.

Sounds like a great idea drew... I go out through boyton inlet, and if i read correctly you do 2. never seen you though [!]. Anyways i think it would go well.
                South Florida[br]1974 Mako 19[br]200 Merc[br]

Comment

That sig pic is of my "replacement" Mako, you may have seen me in the light grey 1980 21' 225 merc on other occasions. I see Mako's everywhere in our area, I just don't think they know about this site. I leave out of Gateway Marina just North of the inlet just about every weekend, usually around 6:30-7:00 a.m. When your out call "drewsocean" on 68 and I will answer.

Comment

Jeffscott, I expect you onboard as well for the club![8D]

Comment

Prodigy he'll answer you if he's not working. [][][]
                      84 mako 254 \"Child Seaport\" Polk City Fl

Comment

Yes Drew, it is. I just finished a full restoration and update on it. That photo was taken this past Sunday, the first time she has splashed since I took her apart 4 months ago. Unfortunately, I'm not in the photo, I'm taking it.....
                        http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/76mako25/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf72a9b06.jpg[/IMG][br]Ronkonkoma, NY[br]1981 Mako 235 -- present boat[br]1988 Aquasport 290 tournament master -- SOLD[br]1976 Mako 25 -- SOLD

Comment

Would be interested... Was a member of SFMOC for a while, before it disbanded.

The old club did dinner once a month at a bar in Lauderdale... I think I would try to expand on that, by meeting like that now and then, but also by organizing DIY clinics / get togethers to learn and do more than just talk about our boats or fishing (that is the aspect of this site that I like).

Here is snapshot of the old SFMOC

http://www.biggerhammer.net/mako/www....org/home.html

that I made back in 2003 or so.
                          Miami, FL[br]1994 Intrepid 23 WA - http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56047[br]Mako 224 Rebuild - http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34019 - Sold[br]http://www.biggerhammer.net/mercury/ - Mercury V6 FAQ

Comment

That is the most beautiful Mako 25! By far. She is a work of art. It blows away the other one under "discussions". Don't get me wrong; that other 25 is pretty sweet,but yours is aesthetically pleasing and just plain bad ass! A lot has to do with the beautiful paint job. It looks like it rolled off the line of a brand new manufacturer with a 150,000 price tag!

Comment

WOW! That's some compliment Drew. Thank you very much. I hope it is not a disappointment when you see it in person. LOL. I still have a few loose ends to tie up, but its getting there. I couldn't stand it anymore not being on the water. I'll fish her while I finish her. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X