Lake Erie Mako Get Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Erie Mako Get Together

This post is to see how much interest we can drum up for a get together on the south shore of lake Erie. Im open to dates and locations but I think we should try to keep it simple and maybe we can spawn something for future years. I'd like to invite anyone and everyone including Mako owners, Former owners, Or just people who visit the site and wanna join us for some fun suds and sun on lake Erie.

I think the west end has a lot to offer early in our season so my vote is the Islands area around mid May to mid June sometime. I do think we should try to avoid the holiday weekend at the end of May though. If we do decide to do it later in the summer season like July or August my vote would be more towards the Ohio/Pa border like Conneaut.

The Islands will offer plenty to a family atmosphere as well as good fishing this time of year and ample ramps for those trailering and transient docking for those looking to slip their boat for the weekend. As well as a wide range of motels, hotels, eaterys and off water activitys and plenty of beaches. It also has PUT N BAY hahahaha which is basically a drunken Island that you either have to have your own boat to get to or you take a ferry across.

I'd like to hear peoples ideas and from the people interested in making a go of this.

Anthony DeepTrouble
    Lake Erie Ohio [br]Previous 74 20\' CC Mako[br]Previous 78 21\' CC Mako[br]Previous 84 254 CC Mako[br]Currently 84 Cherokee Sportfish 250

Count Brenda and I in with the Minnow, sounds like fun.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Count me in, west end works better as I have to make the run through Michigan on the trailer, looking forward to it.

Comment

Sounds good,will take some planning.Maybe something based in sandusky bay in case lake is rough? I had 20 good years of Put in Bay in the old days before it changed,nothing but wine women walleye and more wimmin![]
        Captweed,Lorain,Ohio mako 254/twin 200 Mercs ,& 224 with 225 Johnson

Comment

captweed,

Thats a good idea to focus the rendevous in the bay with the unpredictable lake conditions early in our season. I was hoping someone would chime in as to narrow down the location.

Sandusky bay will do just fine IMO, With Cedar Point as a main attraction also like you said ample protection from most wind directions, Access to all the Islands and a run to the west to the reef complex and the bass islands makable and the run east to Vermillion and the sand bar area off Lorain is also within reach although a long run it can be worth it for the deeper water trolling game.

Ive seen boats beach up on johnsons island before but personally ive never beached any of my boats on purpose.

We need to narrow down a date now and stick with it. My votes are for May 21,22 2011 or June 11,12 2011.

captweed, The old days for me are the early 70s all the way through the mid 80's when the lake was dirty and all you needed was a Tom's lure, Golden nugget or Erie Deary and a bunch of crawlers. I remember guys like Gene Guss, Jack Tibbels, Bernie Labuda, Dan Galbincia, Dave Demeter, Andy Bomba, the Blaha girls And my Late Father Tony Girolamo who were amongst the first couple hundred 6 pack charter captains back in the early 70's. I remember when my dad told me he was selling the charter business and moving back home with us. I cried the whole day we unloaded the 27' sportcraft for the last time and sold it to West Catawba marina where they kept it chartering till 89 before selling to a P/O. I use to see the old girl now and then in the 90's but I think she has since gave up the ghost and rests with my father who passed this July 2010. I have his ashes and his request is to be put in the west end of the lake when the walleye are biting. He woulda loved this get together so this will also be my final goodbye to my father and a big hello to future friends.

Keep the input coming.

Anthony DeepTrouble
          Lake Erie Ohio [br]Previous 74 20\' CC Mako[br]Previous 78 21\' CC Mako[br]Previous 84 254 CC Mako[br]Currently 84 Cherokee Sportfish 250

Comment

Late may is probably better as school is still in and not as many pressing family functions, looking forward to this as there are very few makos in my area, be nice to see a bunch rafter up and I am always up for a good run with a purpose

Comment

West end is the perfect place, great ideas! I assume just about everyone will be trailering in and the Shelby Street Ramp in downtown Sandusky is a great place to start. They have lots of fishing tournaments so there is a nice large area to meet. Awesome free ramps, I've left my Jeep and Trailer there for 2-3 days over holiday and non-holiday weekends without a problem.

I vote for June 11,12 because of how cold the water is early in the season. Cold water means cold air when you're out running and if anyone would want to go out towards an island it could be a cold ride.

I realize Cedar Point is not cheap....but early in the year I wonder if it would be possible to get discount slips and rooms in one of those Marina's behind TGI Fridays which are owned by Cedar Point and they have 2 hotels right there so you can walk to your boat...just thinking out loud []
              Pat[br]2006 Rinker 342 - Twin Merc 350\'s[br]2000 Mako 232 - SOLD[br]2001 Rinker 310 - SOLD[br]1967 Boston Whaler 17\' Nauset - SOLD[br]Bay Village, OH[br]

Comment

Hey Deep Trouble, great idea! Love the Western Basin area, or even Vermilion... Count me in!

Jack

Landfall Mako 232

Rocky River, OH

p.s. Was going to try and call you last wk. Went to South Shore's Open House and then the Sand Bar (one of my favorite places)!
                Jack[br]LANDFALL Mako 232[br]Rocky River, OH

Comment

Work schedule dependant, but I would probably be in. Sandusky/put in bay sounds good. My wife always wants to go to cedar pt.
                  1979 21\' missed.[br]1998 Carolina Classic 25

Comment

Since I live in Sandusky, I'm alittle bias, but I do think it would be a great location with lots to do, and always a short trip to the "Bay" is a good thing.

On a different subject, sorry, may be looking for some help next year to remove the fuel tank in my 221, hoping I might get some help from some locals if I need it.

Thanks everyone, its a great site with tons of info.

Kurt
                    221Mako[br]Sandusky,Ohio

Comment

Welcome aboard Kurt (Nextwalleyeonline), I'd like to actually see one of these tanks come out in person. So i'd be inclined to try to shoot up rt2 to give a hand and a look see. Any photo's of the 221 what year is she? What kinda power package are you pushing her with? Kicker? [8D]

As for the Get togethers site and dates,

Sandusky bay, Cedar Point Saturday June 11th 2011 and Sunday June 12th 2011.

Lets hope we can make this work and set up some events in the future. Since this is our first one i'm looking for input on how we should schedule activities and a raft up or beach up of some sorts.

For those wanting to fish and don't know the area I can assist or you can jump on my boat, Runs east and west should both be productive for both perch and walleye as well as smallmouth bass around the rubble and rocks of the shore and islands.

All input is welcome.

Anthony DeepTrouble

Comment

Thanks for the greeting

The boat is a 89, with a 200 Johnson, no kicker, but may add one in the future. We have owned it since about 1995, thats a guess. Great boat have fished a few tournaments off it, and may use it next year as our tournament boat. We keep the boat at Battery Park Marina in Sandusky, which makes it nice for me, I live about five min from the boat.

I will try to think of some ideas of what we can do for the get together. One idea might I might have is my Dad has a house on cedar point road and has access to the beach, might be a place to meet up on the water and have a beach fire and cocktail hour...or something just a thought.

Kurt
                        221Mako[br]Sandusky,Ohio

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Nextwalleyeonline

I will try to think of some ideas of what we can do for the get together. One idea I might have is my Dad has a house on cedar point road and has access to the beach, might be a place to meet up on the water and have a beach fire and cocktail hour...or something just a thought.

Kurt

Wow, that sounds really cool. I can picture it now evening rolling in a cool beach fire, a few Mako's beached up, a few adult beverages, some tunes. I'm totally down for something like that. Thats exactly how I roll...[8D][][)]

Throw in a bunch of fishing and thats the whole weekend for me.[] [].hehe

I'm sure some groups will partake in the amusement park itself or a run to South Bass or Kelleys Island.

Anthony DeepTrouble

Comment

Great, now I have a deadline to finish the inboard... There wasn't enough pressure to finish already []

I'm in. Shelby st ramp is great. Lots of parking, big ramps, lots of space to tie up. The new launch in Huron is really nice too, but Huron is a bit longer run to the Islands.

Aside from holidays, the big race weeks/weekends might be something to avoid, especially if this is around the Islands/Bay. Unless y'all are interested in seeing PIB as ridiculous as possible.

If you need any help, let me know.
                            Austin, TX[br](Finished & Sold) 1976 Mako 23 Inboard - http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23572

Comment

Sounds like a good plan! I'll spread the word to a few other Mako owners I know, who aren't real active on the site, but sure they'd be interested...

Jack

Landfall Mako 232

Rocky River, OH
                              Jack[br]LANDFALL Mako 232[br]Rocky River, OH

Comment

Working...
                              X