First Billfish of the year!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Billfish of the year!!!!

The first billfish of the year was caught several weeks ago by a Classic Mako owner!!! Not only did they catch the first billfish (nice several hundred pound Blue) but they also caught several stud wahoo and all the Blackfin you could want.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

What do you use to go after bill fish and others and what would be the depth to look for them in? working on getting out in the gulf this coming summer. unfortunately a lady pulled out in front of me causing a wreck and boat had no damage but the winch post is going to be replaced and my truck fixed when the insurance company pays for it. (hers) so Im stuck on getting out sooner but would like some tips on doing good out of the Pensacola area where I live. this is my first gulf boat so its going to be a learning in the process for me but any help would be grateful. I'm glad to hear someone is doing good and I hope to have my first big fish soon. cant wait to go after the big fish. gotta love a Mako. mine is a 20ft.

Comment

Unfortunately our 20's really are too small, mainly due to a lack of range, unless you have a new four stroke or DFI motor, but even so, the 20 really isn't the best boat to be running 30 miles offshore to chase the pelagics. The hulls in our boats don't have the deep V needed when the waves pick up which can happen quickly when you are that far offshore. With that being said, you need to run to the nipple which is about 28 miles from Pensacola Pass. There you can find white marlin, wahoo, dolphin, some tuna and the very occasional blue marlin. A buddy boat would definitely be a must. Your best bet would be to fish the ledge for some wahoo and dolphin.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Comment

I wouldn't adventure to far unless the day is at its best. Im still learning so that's a factor too. I don't have a four stroke but I 92 150 Evinrude that just got broke in on my last trip. Im more going to be taking baby steps to get a feel of the gulf and to have a better understanding before I even would consider going anywhere near that far. fishing for grouper, kings, things in that range and go from there. to me there is going to be a lot of learning slowly but I was told you can catch marlin sometimes trolling not too far out but thats why I am questioning what to use and where to look things like that where I can get a better idea of what I need to stock up on and bait.

Comment

Sailor,

Do you think Dad' 22 (with twins) could run out to the 28 mile point you mentioned? Or are we still too small?

Comment

1st - Steve
            quote:

Originally posted by Seaplane1978

Sailor,

Do you think Dad' 22 (with twins) could run out to the 28 mile point you mentioned? Or are we still too small?

Allen - many people have different opinions, but if weather is right not an issue at all. My 1st Funament we fished the ledge and Sailor fished same area in his 20'. You are 22' with twins if weather is good I wouldn't hesitate to go further in your rig, but probably won't need to - fishing is GOOD![]
            \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
            \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

I'll throw in my 2 cents just' cuz I've been in both situations, boat too small with a single engine and boat made for longer runs with twins......

On a good day when the seas are slick in the Gulf, you could take a skanoo out and not be in danger. The problem in the Gulf is the thunderstorms and small fronts that develop instantly. Seas go from glass ass slick to 6 ft in minutes. The Skanoo wouldn't last too long. Throw in a single motor setup that has an unforseen issue and you've put yourself in a world of hurt quick. Mother nature will win every time, I guarantee it.

My advice. Know the limits of your boat. Have backup plans to backup plans (ie 2 or 3 high volume bildge pumps & a manual pump), and realize no fish is worth putting anyone in danger. Buddy up and be willing to leave your boat, hopefully tied up or at anchor, to escape the weather with your buddy. Working VHFs with DSC (at least) and a personal locater with your ditch kit.

And, most of all, remember the Gulf, especially around the Destin area, has multiple choices for great fishing and boating. Pick and choose the days that suit each circumstance.

Alright, enough ranting. I plan to visit the nipple multiple days this year at the Funament. Anyone wanting to follow in my wake is welcome. I plan to hand out my DSC number at the captain's meeting so anyone with it can find me at anytime. []
              Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

I know we are limited by the size of our boats. That I do understand. I'm not looking at going to extreme measures just to catch a fish. I haven't lost my mind by any standards. my days out in the gulf are controlled by the conditions of it. I am including some pics of my boat here since Chuck stated the thread is useless without pics. I know I can fish the wrecks around here in Pensacola like the Russian freighter but I would like to troll for other fighting fish as well. seeing that I have a 76 20ft Mako with a 150hp 92 Evinrude that has been rebuilt and I just finished going through the break in point and she ready to go. I never thought of going out too far but with in a reasonable and safe range to pursue fish that I have never had that chance to come upon. I'm not afraid to ask what would be considered a safe distance to run this boat in. asking what is best in terms of bait and lures to use things of that nature. I think I may have given the wrong conclusion to what my intentions were. as for bill fish, I was told you can find them running close. I don't feel that 30 miles out is safe for this boat or for my experience in boating. Rude has given some tips that I help me and safety is first before anything here. any advise and help on this I would love to hear. Thanks

Comment

I posted some pics of my boat. maybe when I get everything I need for the boat and ready for some offshore fishing, maybe we can do it together seaplane with your dad. I don't know how often you fish from Pensacola but weekends is the only time I could adventure out since it would be a all day thing. I still have to get some electronics before anything. it may be by June I could have everything. I would like to have the buddy boats system but I still need to meet some people from my area. being new to this its going to take some time to meet others in my area. Thanks for some tips now I just need to learn what lures and live bait to bring along.

Comment

quote:

Sailor,

Absolutely...if you are comfortable doing it and keep an eye on the weather. The first Mako I ever fished on was a Mako 22 from the early '70's (maybe even late '60's) and we would routinely take it out 40 miles. It had twin 70hp Evinrudes and would make it's own gas. Of course it only topped at 30 mph, but we caught plenty of white marlin at the 100 fathom curve on that boat.

Comment

quote:

Sailor,

Absolutely...if you are comfortable doing it and keep an eye on the weather. The first Mako I ever fished on was a Mako 22 from the early '70's (maybe even late '60's) and we would routinely take it out 40 miles. It had twin 70hp Evinrudes and would make it's own gas. Of course it only topped at 30 mph, but we caught plenty of white marlin at the 100 fathom curve on that boat.

Comment

Working...
                      X