dive sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dive sites

How far is the Oriskany from Destin? I'll probably go and look after I post this but oh well.
    92 mako 221b [br]86 mako 17[br]Englewood, FL[br]

It's 25 miles from Pensacola Pass, but I think from Destin Pass it is close to 30. DestinBound has been out there from Destin and can probably tell you.

Are you going to dive during the Funament??? We might need a new category for that one.... [8D]
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Comment

Yep, it's about 30 miles from the Destin pass. Every time I've been out there it is covered up in dive shop boats. Not sure what their schedule is but you might be able to find out so you can hit it when they are not there.

I'd love to dive it too. One day we will.

Take pictures if you go []
      [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

I'd like to get up there and see what the funament is all about. hopefully I can make it. off the top of my head I think it is about an 8 hour drive for me, I am about an hour south of Tampa and about 3.5 to 4 hours south of Lake City. Are there any other dive sites around that area?? I know that the Oriskany is in about 230 ft of water and has something like 160 feet of relief. how far out is it until you hit about 100 feet of water?? Here on the southwest coast we have to run 30 miles or more to get to 100 feet, I'm looking foward to the gas milage on my new 4 stroke.
        92 mako 221b [br]86 mako 17[br]Englewood, FL[br]

Comment

Depth drops to 100 feet around 10 - 11 miles. The link below illustrates some of the other dive spots in the area.

http://www.divespots.com/scuba/searc...ifecycleCode=2
          Current - 1987 Pursuit 2600, Twin 200 Evinrudes; 1997 Hydraskiff, 175 Evinrude[br]Former - 1983 Mako 254[br]Mobile, AL

Comment

There is a nice wreck called the Janet which is in about 95' and is 10 to 11 miles east of the pass. It is no longer where the local charts say it is so if you want to dive it let me know and I'll look the numbers up for you.

The bridge rubble isn't too good but if you like natural bottom then an area called Broken Bottom is a real good spot. There is a lot of hard bottom relief and plenty of fish. Broken bottom will be between 80 and 90' and is 8 or so miles east of the pass.

There is also a liberty ship in roughly the same depth just west of the pass and in that same 8 to 10 mile range.

So, there are a number of interesting places fairly close and within the depth you are looking for.

It will be cold at 90 feet in the northern gulf though, so bring your wet suit.
            [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

We have quite a few good places to dive, although I haven't been under in 10+ years. There are some old M-60 tanks which are pretty cool to dive.
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Comment

Working...
              X