Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptCarl7
    replied
    Im helping a buddy with a rewire on his 261 and this is what I came up with for the battery shutoff switches/VSR mounting. The slatted cover plate still fits over it to give it some protection and hide them.

Leave a comment:

• mugwump4
    replied
    I'm curious why a switch that's designed to be exposed to the elements has everyone worried about installing it outside.

I mounted my batteries inside my console and the switch up high, on the side of the console for easy access. It may see some spray, but the contacts are inside the console out of the elements. So, any corrosion should not be any more than the rest of the electrical system.

Leave a comment:

• keyman
    replied
    Just curious why you didn't purchase the BEP 716 like Dehutch suggested. I agree locating the switch closer to the batteriesis is more practical and keeps cable lenghts shorter. ABYC E-10 requires having fuses provided on cable lenghts over 6ft. I personally do'nt care to have thw switch assemblies exposed to elements. It.s your choice.

Leave a comment:

• CaptMatt
    replied
    Where are your batteries in relation to the hatch below old switch panel?

I like the idea of Flush mounting it in that recessed switch panel.

The old Seavee I just picked up had the batt switch on the dash in the electronics recess and its very convenient.

If I could figure out how to post pics on here Id show ya.

Maybe use that panel to make a plug/mold?

Much cleaner install than starboard....Meh

Leave a comment:

• Sailor
    replied
    wiring is easier, it looks cleaner, less chance salt water will mess them up, you really don't need to access them when fishing, etc, etc.

The box would work fine. Orginially I though you were just going to stick them in the old switch panel and be done. Yes they can be mounted outside but why go down a path of potential problems?

Leave a comment:

• rehutch
    replied
    Inside the console.

Wiring up will be a lot easier.

Also 716 includes the Digital Voltage Sensing Relay (DVSR)

Which charges the second battery if you dont have an aux

Charging wire from the motor.

Leave a comment:

• snappergapper
    replied
    Chuck,

For what its worth I would do the glove box and have them at easy reach. You have the area to use and it is primary the same size. Go for it. If after a season it does not work for you change it.

Leave a comment:

• Triplecrownnc
    replied
    Of course I read your replies, I stand by what I said, it doesn't belong there. Finding an example of a switch in a leaning post is not remotely close to putting it front and center on the console. Real estate is very limited and valuable on the console and there are better choices for placement of that switch, but of course it is up to you.

Leave a comment:

• ChuckB
    replied
    This is called a battery switch box and is installed on a leaning post.

Leave a comment:

• Triplecrownnc
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by ChuckB

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

install it inside the console.

Why?

Because that is not where you install them, just because you have a hole there doesn't' mean you put something in that hole that doesn't belong there.

Leave a comment:

• ChuckB
    replied
    What about inside a hatch like this...

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/st...ng-storage-box

or

https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Glove-Bo...7JYVEA70RCBCK0

trying to find something to fit in cutout is a challenge.

Leave a comment:

• ChuckB
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Why? Is there a reason it needs to be inside console? I know I saw plenty of new boats at the boat show with knobs accessible from outside console.

I am not set one way or the other, but if there is a valid reason to keep inside I certainly will.

Leave a comment:

• Sailor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ChuckB
    replied
    I have plenty of space inside the console, I was just thinking about easier access and filling a void. That switch panel is going away, and for immediate future it will simply be a hole covered with starboard. I'm seeing more and more new boats with setups similar to what I am trying to do; knobs accessible from outside console.

Leave a comment:

• Triplecrownnc
    replied
    chuck, not crazy about that location, have other options?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X