New to the Mako family!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Mako family!

Hello everyone, Im James. I have boating experience but never had one of my own, except canoes, small pond boats, etc I'm just now becoming a first-time legit boat owner. I love being on the water and I LOVE to fish. I'm going to pick up my first boat either this weekend or next from my uncle. I don't know too much about the boat yet, except that it's an old Mako and it's 17'. I want to restore it. I don't have any experience restoring boats so I'm joining this site to hopefully make some friends and get some pointers on this journey! So proud that my first boat is going to be a Mako!!!

I've never used imgur before, so I'm gonna try to upload a pic of what I'm working with.

Kinder/Louisiana

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum, lots of 17 experience on here from cosmetics to full restorations.

Looks like someone did some work to yours. Figure out what you want to do and ask questions here
    Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DukeS

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum, lots of 17 experience on here from cosmetics to full restorations.

Looks like someone did some work to yours. Figure out what you want to do and ask questions here

Thanks DukeS! I'm excited to say the least. I'm not sure exactly what kind of work the previous owner has done, but once I get it home I'll be able to access it. So glad I found this site... just looking at the restoration pics of other members has gotten me even more juiced to take on this project. One thing my uncle did tell me is that the hull of the boat is solid. He also said that the motor is in pieces and is not fixable, so I'll have to get another motor. I did a little research on these older 17's and I believe 135 is the recommended max. I'm not trying to brake any speed records, but I do want some power. I'm thinking about something in the 90-115 range. I've be seeing some cheap used motors for sale but not too experienced at knowing what to avoid (mechanical issue and such) when it comes to getting a good deal on a used motor. At any rate, I'm gonna be restoring this for a while so I got time and don't need to rush into any bad motor deals.
      Thanks for the welcome!
      Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Welcome to the family!

Here is a post about searching CM. There is tons of information here and tons of people happy to help answer any questions. Looking forward to watching your project.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=52507
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach,FL
        Blind Hog Project thread -
        http://forum.classicmako.com/forum/c...e-last-stretch

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Welcome to the family!

Here is a post about searching CM. There is tons of information here and tons of people happy to help answer any questions. Looking forward to watching your project.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=52507

Awesome! Thanks Sailor!
          Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Hey guys, finally back!

Well it took a while to get my 1974 Mako 17 home. Now that I've got it where I can put my hands on it I don't know quite where to start. I'm not sure what the previous owner was doing but there was what I believe is an old Evenrude 140 laying in the boat. The guy pulled the spark plugs out and it has been sitting in the weather like that for quite a while. My uncle says that the motor is ruined because of that. There were 2 cowlings in the laying in the boat... a older white Johnson 110 and a blue Evenrude 140 (matches the motor in color... that's what I'm basing my assumption on about what kind of motor it is). At any rate... There were also three other lower units laying in the boat along with lots of nuts, bolts, screws, props, and various other parts and trash all scattered about. Sorry I didn't take any pictures before I cleaned it out. The first thing I did when I got it home Sunday was take it to storage unit and clean it out then to the car wash and spray it down and out. I planning on getting back to the storage unit this weekend and try to go through everything to see if I have any thing that I may be able to salvage. I don't know how to tell if the lower units are any good and if I could possibly get them in shape to either keep them as spares or sell them to help pay for a motor. Same goes with all the other various parts, and even if there is anything on the motor itself that is salvageable. I could use some help/advice when it comes to determining if any of this stuff is any good or worth the time to repair. Also I don't really know how to tell if any of the steering cables, the steering assembly, or fuel lines are good. The steering rod is bent. The guy took the motor off but left the mount.

What is the best cleaning product to use? I just did a simple spray down Sunday... I still need to do some cleaning.
            I need to get a cover too... should I buy a universal or custom, if so where is the best place to get it?
            I've seen online that there is a 17 Angler and 17 Standard... how do I tell which one I have?

I'm trying to attach some pictures I took after I cleaned it out using Imgur but I'm having trouble... not sure if something with the site since I last posted or if I just can't remember how I did it. Anyone using Imgur that can help me out?
            Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

I used a heavy concentration of royal purple and a scrub brush. Made that gel coat look almost new.

Comment

• cajunangler82
                cajunangler82 commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome, thanks!

btw... what program do you use to upload pictures?

Welcome aboard! Great to see another Classic Mako rising from the dust. I'd just cover it with a plastic tarp till I had it done to my satisfaction then get a custom made cover.

Comment

gotcha
                Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Awesome! I figured out how to post using Imgur!!!

So this is what I'm working with. It's a 1974 17'... I've read that there is a 1974 17 Standard and a 1974 17 Angler. Not sure which one I have???

The boat was neglected, so this is going to be a project. I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to fully restore it but I'm gonna do my best!
                    Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Kinder/Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                            X