1973 Mako 17 Angler Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Mako 17 Angler Restoration

The time has come to restore our 17 angler. It has been in the family since 1996. I bought it from my Dad in 2009 or so. Most recently it has spent time at the lake and the coast. We enjoyed fishing the Destin tournament in 2013 or 14.

What will be done:

Deck replacement

Gelcoat all over

Transom depending what is found

modifications to the console

leaning post

windshield

Fishing Galveston Bay one day before Miami

At Elliott Key when I lived in Miami

Son #2 removing step pads

Son #1 removing access plates

I will post pictures as the work is done. I live in Columbus, GA. My father lives in Houston, TX. Could not find anyone in my area that I would trust to do this scope of work, so I trailered it to Houston to have some one do the work that my Dad has used in the past. See his restoration here: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=54056

He will help me with decisions and checking up on the boat as the work is done.
    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Awesome! Nothing like getting the little ones involved early on. My son loves the tear down process of the restorations. We go through and look at pages of tank and foam removal a lot and hes just amazed at the finished products... hope the restore goes well!
    1990 - 261 [br]1968 -19 (First 40)[br]Dallasbrooks261@gmail.com

Comment

Great to have little helpers! Look at the stern of your 17 it looks different than older Mako standards which have boxes on each side, and totally different transom setup. Good luck with the restoration and let me know if you require any electrical help.
      Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Today, we stripped off the the windshield, plaques,grab rail, steering wheel, throttle, and instrument panels.

These and the capacity plate on the console and the HIN on the transom were removed and will be put back on after the work.

If you look closely at the mustard yellow deck, cracks are visible throughout. The console has many stress cracks too.

The steering wheel mount nuts were rusted onto the bolts but the die grinder made quick work getting them off.

The motor will get a paint job with lettering.

Then we took it to Cosmetic Boat Repair in Kemah, TX: http://www.cosmeticboatrepair.com for the gelcoat work. I have mixed emotions about letting someone else do the work, but I will be very pleased with the product, it will be better than I could ever do, and I don't have time to do it myself.

Unknowns: gas tank, transom, stringers.

Comment

Thats what makes it an Angler Keyman!
          1988 Mako 171 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140
          1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold

Comment

Keyman: Thanks for the offer to help with a wiring diagram. I want to keep it pretty simple but do want to upgrade the battery, add a selector switch, maybe put a charger on, and a few other things.

Comment

Part of the upgrades you might want to consider trim tabs. That was one of the best improvements for handing that we did to our 17. List all the control devices you are considering such as nav lights, courtesy light, VHF, stereo, GPS/fisherfinder, ect...

Determine the number of bilge pumps and controls. Blueseas has many options for switch panel rather than custom. Good luck.
              Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Here is an update on the project. Things are going well.

Rotten transom!

The transom core was originally two layers. Has anyone seen a transom like this with solid glass and no core on the side bottoms?

This is the new composite core.

Here they have glassed the outer skin back on. Next they will sand this down and glass several more layers of biaxial and then mat before fairing and prepping for gelcoat.

Comment

Yes, mine was the same way. I fill the space when I put it back in.
                  Ryan[br]Parrish, FL[br]1977 17\' Mako Standard[br]2011 115 Opti[br]17\' Rebuild Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18920[br]

Comment

Cool. Wonder why they did it this way? Anybody got any ideas?

Comment

The gas tank is still in good shape. The plan is to coat it and foam it back in.

Does anybody know how one would go about adding an electrical sending unit to this tank so that I don't have to open the console up and look at the direct read?

Comment

I had an electric sender in my tank replace, it failed and I put a mechanical float/electric sender in, feed to console. easier to do with the tank out.
                        Richard Snyder[br]Wachapreague, VA[br][br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43622[br]http://www.vims.edu/esl/

Comment

DukeS: What was the brand and where did you buy it? That sounds like a great solution.

Comment

I just had a new tank made and it was only about $500. For that amount of money, I would consider replacing it. I would hate for you to go through all the work of a rebuild and then have to tear the console back out to change the tank. Best of luck with your project!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	541491Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	541486Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	541487Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	541488Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	541489

It has been a while since I have updated this thread. I love the new forum and the ease with which photos can be uploaded. Here is a series of photos on showing what was done with to the boat.
                              Last edited by SeaReel; 06-09-2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X